Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by "FINKEL, PAUL D, ATTSI" <fi...@att.com> on 2008/04/23 21:14:00 UTC

[users@httpd] Directory listings take

really long time.

Suddenly we have directories with as many as 15,000 files
Most of the settings look ok as per Apache web page (even turned off
FancyIndexing - to no avail)

Q: is creating a script  to build the page the only way around this?
Q: Any scripts laying around? Working on one now :)

RE: [users@httpd] Directory listings take

Posted by "FINKEL, PAUL D, ATTSI" <fi...@att.com>.
I've suggested it, of course, but I understand their predicament

Paul Finkel
AT&T Chief Security Office
732.420.3105

Posted by Dragon <dr...@crimson-dragon.com>.

Posted by "FINKEL, PAUL D, ATTSI" <fi...@att.com>.
Heh - I'm just the sysadmin : - )

Posted by Dragon <dr...@crimson-dragon.com>.

Posted by "FINKEL, PAUL D, ATTSI" <fi...@att.com>.
Hi -

________________________________

	Suddenly we have directories with as many as 15,000 files
	Most of the settings look ok as per Apache web page (even turned
off FancyIndexing - to no avail)

	Q: is creating a script  to build the page the only way around
this?
	Q: Any scripts laying around? Working on one now :)

Obviously it will take mod_autoindex a while to build a webpage with
15,000 lines... But it will also take your browser quite a while to
render it.

You might try fetching the page to a file with wget or curl (thus
eliminating the browser rendering time) so you can see where the real
bottleneck is. It could be it's mainly rendering time in which case
speeding up apache or pre-building the page won't make any difference.

You might also wonder if a webpage with 15,000 lines is of any use to
the user (how do they read all that stuff?) - but, hey, what do I
know...
Rgds,
Owen Boyle

confidential, proprietary or legally privileged information. If you
receive this message in error, please notify the sender urgently and
then immediately delete the message and any copies of it from your
communications through their networks.

RE: [users@httpd] Directory listings take

Posted by Boyle Owen <Ow...@swx.com>.

[...]

This message is for the named person's use only. It may contain confidential, proprietary or legally privileged information. If you receive this message in error, please notify the sender urgently and then immediately delete the message and any copies of it from your system. Please also immediately destroy any hardcopies of the message. The sender's company reserves the right to monitor all e-mail communications through their networks.