Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by bruce <be...@earthlink.net> on 2008/10/16 15:15:43 UTC

Continuous Integration Question

Hi.

In doing some research, I've come across various apps that deal with the
concept of Continuous Integration/Software Production Management, which
apparently is the process of being able to manage the process of
creating/developing/building/testing/releasing projects/apps using
repositories/build processes/etc... The CI/SPM process, also apparently
allows for the implementation of workflow processes/procedures for managing
the various apps/projects while being developed.

I've got a project in mind, that's going to require lots of little python
apps that will need to be developed/built/tested/run multiple times, and to
be recreated for each semester. (the apps deal with course schedules for
colleges). Subversion would of course be the repository of choice, and since
it appears that a number of the CI type of apps I've seen use SVN, I figured
that I'd see if anyone here has actually used/implemented a CI/SPM system,
and what your thoughts are.

Thanks

RE: RE: Continuous Integration Question

Posted by "Parrish, Ken" <KP...@gomez.com>.
Bruce,

FYE:  CruiseControl.NET, Nant and NantContrib are all open source.
Generally well maintained, well supported (via e-mail lists like this)
and stable.

Ken

Posted by bruce <be...@earthlink.net>.
Hi List...

---------------------

Posted by Rene Medellin <me...@yahoo.com>.
Apps like Hudson, various flavors of CruiseControl etc are nice but for true and serious CI I only consider two:

CRUISE http://studios.thoughtworks.com/cruise-continuous-integration
TeamCity http://www.jetbrains.com/teamcity/

- Rebe

Posted by David Weintraub <qa...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "Parrish, Ken" <KP...@gomez.com>.
Bruce,

I manage the build environment for some 40 different applications and
have implemented continuous integration and configuration management all
of these.

We use CruiseControl.NET for continuous integration and Nant (with
NantContrib) for configuration management, deployment and other
administration tasks.

In our case, all tasks are implemented in Nant scripts and then the Nant
scripts called from within CruiseControl.NET.  In these way, any
specific task can be executed manually via the command line, tested,
vetted before incorporation in the continuous integration script.  As
well, our Nant scripts are designed to be 'cascading' so that you can go
to any point in the software directory structure to invoke a build or
configuration management operation.  This allow CruiseControl to invoke
the a build/configuration management operation at a logical point in the
directory hierarchy.

Since much of our development is in .NET, our Nant scripts invoke
MSBuild for compiling our .NET applications, but all other configuration
management, deployment and versioning operations are implement in Nant.

Ken Parrish
Gomez, Inc.
Lexington, MA

Posted by John Niven <jn...@bravurasolutions.com>.

Apparently SVN uses BuildBot: http://buildbot.net/trac/wiki/SuccessStories

I hadn't heard of it until just now...

Cheers
John

Re: Continuous Integration Question

Posted by Keith Moore <Ke...@securency.com>.
We use the Cruise Control .net continuous integration server, from ThoughtWorks.  All our code is in one subversion repository and all our projects, on cruise control, are built with NAnt scripts.

Each project has two items in cruise control.  The first is the continuous build, this one is built every 20 minutes or so if there has been a change.  Below is a summary of the script actions:
1.      Update the local working copy with the latest changes from the repository.
2.      Build the project.
3.      Run unit tests, currently using NUnit.
4.      Run features tests, currently using FitNesse.

If any of these actions fail then the build fails.

The second item for the project is a release build.  This item is not scheduled it is developer initiated.  When a project is ready for release this build does all the actions above, although debugging information is removed from the output, with the final step a svn copy to the projects Tags directory.  We have plans to copy the project output to our web server for simple deployment.

If a build starts failing we give it priority and get it working again as soon as possible.  It has also simplified our release process.

All in all I'd say we're pretty happy with our CI setup, although I can'ty speak for the other team members.
Keith Moore