Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by do...@netnevada.net on 2003/10/02 20:23:30 UTC

[users@httpd] Upgrading OpenSSL 0.9.7b to 0.9.7c (apache 2.0.47)

Hi All,

   I am using SuSE 8.0 and I have been able to compile OpenSSL 0.9.7b
with apache 2.0.47, and when I start it, all works fine (shows mod_ssl
and OpenSSL 0.9.7b).

Problem:

   I unpack OpenSSL 0.9.7c, in /usr/local/src and do:

./config
make
make test
make install (writes on top of stuff in /usr/local/ssl)

Now, how do I get apache 2.0.47 (in /usr/local/src/httpd-2.0.47)
to compile so it picks up the updated stuff in /usr/local/ssl

Or can someone suggest the correct way to do this (I feel so dumb) :-)

-Bill

[users@httpd] Re: Upgrading OpenSSL 0.9.7b to 0.9.7c (apache 2.0.47)

Posted by do...@netnevada.net.
Quoting Nikolaus Schmitt <n....@scaet.de>:

> Hi Bill,
>
> before compiling apache2, You will call "./configure" from within
> "/usr/local/src/httpd-2.0.47".
> Call "./configure --help" as 1st step and carefully study the possible
> options. There is an option to set the ssl stuff's and other, external
> component's location.
> Regards
> Niko

Nod, this is how I did it (tried this on a test box w/NO apache and no
openssl) (now if I did it right) :-)

got http-2.0.47 tarball, unpacked in /usr/local/src
got openssl-0.9.7b tarball, unpacked in /usr/local/src

cd /usr/local/src/openssl-0.9.7b
./config
make
make test
make install (default installs in /usr/local/ssl)

cd /usr/local/src/http-2.0.47
./configure --enable-ssl --with-ssl=/usr/local/ssl/

./config
make
make test
make install (default installs in /usr/local/ssl)

this overwrote JUST the items that had been changed
between 0.9.7b and 0.9.7c, from what I saw in /usr/local/ssl

cd /usr/local/src/http-2.0.47
make clean
./configure --enable-ssl --with-ssl=/usr/local/ssl/
make install

when I started apache back up again, and got the 404 error (on my test box, of
course, I got this):

billp@nermal:~> telnet localhost 80
Trying ::1...
Trying 127.0.0.1...
Connected to localhost.
Escape character is '^]'.
hi there
<title>400 Bad Request</title>
</head><body>
<h1>Bad Request</h1>
<hr />
<address>Apache/2.0.47 (Unix) mod_ssl/2.0.47 OpenSSL/0.9.7c Server at nermal
Port 80</address>
Connection closed by foreign host.

(when I did this before, it reported OpenSSL/0.9.7b)

Now, since this worked, is there a way I can shorten it, or is this the correct
way to do such stuff (i'm learning) :-)

-Bill

Re: [users@httpd] Upgrading OpenSSL 0.9.7b to 0.9.7c (apache 2.0.47)