Posted to fop-dev@xmlgraphics.apache.org by "Peter B. West" <pb...@powerup.com.au> on 2001/11/23 14:37:03 UTC

5.11 and

In 5.11 the spec. has:

<country>
     A string of characters conforming to an ISO 3166 country code.
<language>
     A string of characters conforming to the ISO 639 3-letter code.

In the copies of the references that I have been recovered, ISO 639 is a
2-letter code.  ISO 3166, on the other hand, defines both 2- and
3-letter country codes.  Is the spec correct here?

Peter
--
Peter B. West  pbwest@powerup.com.au  http://powerup.com.au/~pbwest
"Lord, to whom shall we go?"

Re: 5.11 and

Posted by "Christopher R. Maden" <cr...@maden.org>.
At 13:18 24-11-2001, Peter B. West wrote:
>My apologies for not having followed this up more doggedly.  Through RFC
>3066 I found my way to the ISO 639-2 3-letter codes, ISO 639-2/T
>(Terminology) and ISO 639-2/B (Bibliographic).
>
>Fortunately, Section 2.3, Choice of language tag, of RFC 3066 includes:
>
>  2. When a language has both an ISO 639-1 2-character code and an ISO
>       639-2 3-character code, you MUST use the tag derived from the ISO
>       639-1 2-character code.
>
>This is handy, because it resolves the 639-2/T vs. 639-2/B selection
>problem.  However, it contradicts the XSL spec quoted below.
>
>So, your two-letter stuff is The Right Stuff after all.

Not necessarily.  RFC 3066 covers language selectors ll-CC, and is
referenced by MIME, HTML, and XML, so my xml:lang attributes are
right.  But it only governs things that reference it, and since XSL
doesn't...  XSL probably *should*, but right now, there's just an
irritating incompatibility.

Martin Dürst pointed out on the I18N IG that the XSL language and country
settings were mainly intended for cases where xml:lang was insufficiently
expressive.  So the problem isn't that huge.

~Chris
--
Christopher R. Maden, Principal Consultant, HMM Consulting Int'l, Inc.

Re: 5.11 and

Posted by "Peter B. West" <pb...@powerup.com.au>.
Chris,

I have posted again to the xsl-editors on this.  Here is the text.

Eds,

My apologies for not having followed this up more doggedly.  Through RFC
3066 I found my way to the ISO 639-2 3-letter codes, ISO 639-2/T
(Terminology) and ISO 639-2/B (Bibliographic).

Fortunately, Section 2.3, Choice of language tag, of RFC 3066 includes:

  2. When a language has both an ISO 639-1 2-character code and an ISO
       639-2 3-character code, you MUST use the tag derived from the ISO
       639-1 2-character code.

This is handy, because it resolves the 639-2/T vs. 639-2/B selection
problem.  However, it contradicts the XSL spec quoted below.

So, your two-letter stuff is The Right Stuff after all.

On a related issue, I was spanked by Max for CCing fop-dev on this,
because of the risk of directing subsequent discussions of the topic on
fop-dev into the xsl-editors list.  I see that this has happened.

Sorry Max.

Peter

Re: 5.11 and

Posted by "Christopher R. Maden" <cr...@maden.org>.