Posted to docs@httpd.apache.org by Vincent Deffontaines <vi...@gryzor.com> on 2014/06/24 20:12:59 UTC

documentation

Greetings,

After reading http://httpd.apache.org/docs/current/mod/core.html#if and
http://httpd.apache.org/docs/current/expr.html,

I've been trying a simple IP/NETMASK match :

<If "%{REMOTE_ADDR} -ipmatch 127.0.0.1/8">

This is refused by httpd -t, and returns :
AH00526: Syntax error on line 154 of /etc/apache2/apache2.conf:
Cannot parse condition clause: -ipmatch requires subnet/netmask as
constant argument Action 'configtest' failed.
The Apache error log may have more information.
(side note, with "Loglevel warn", error log provides nothing additional)

Then the "constant argument" being a hint, I tried :

<If "%{REMOTE_ADDR} -ipmatch '127.0.0.1/8'">

Which happens to work as expected.

However, I believe my first try matches the documentation quite
acurately ; this documentation seems not to be usable as is to users.
Either numerous examples are missing, either something must be
explained, either I misread.
I'd patch it myself if I knew how <If> really works, but I don't.

Cheers,

Vincent

--
Don't let the sound of your own wheels make you crazy - Eagles

Re: documentation

Posted by Rich Bowen <rb...@rcbowen.com>.
On 06/24/2014 02:12 PM, Vincent Deffontaines wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> After reading http://httpd.apache.org/docs/current/mod/core.html#if and
> http://httpd.apache.org/docs/current/expr.html,
>
> I've been trying a simple IP/NETMASK match :
>

> <If "%{REMOTE_ADDR} -ipmatch 127.0.0.1/8">
>
> This is refused by httpd -t, and returns :
> AH00526: Syntax error on line 154 of /etc/apache2/apache2.conf:
> Cannot parse condition clause: -ipmatch requires subnet/netmask as
> constant argument Action 'configtest' failed.
> The Apache error log may have more information.
> (side note, with "Loglevel warn", error log provides nothing additional)
>
> Then the "constant argument" being a hint, I tried :
>
> <If "%{REMOTE_ADDR} -ipmatch '127.0.0.1/8'">
>
> Which happens to work as expected.
>
> However, I believe my first try matches the documentation quite
> acurately ; this documentation seems not to be usable as is to users.
> Either numerous examples are missing, either something must be
> explained, either I misread.
> I'd patch it myself if I knew how <If> really works, but I don't.
>
> Cheers,

There was a recent bug fix regarding the use of quotes in these kinds of
statements, and I wonder if perhaps it wasn't sufficient. I think that
both of these syntaxes *should* work, and you should open a ticket about
this.

http://apachecon.com/ - @apachecon