Posted to dev@mynewt.apache.org by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com> on 2016/02/08 00:41:17 UTC

Newt repo license review

Hi,

I took a look at the newt repo and it has a few issue that would need to be sorted for a release:
- Most of the licenses are Apache comparable
- logutils is MPL. This is a weak copyleft license and can only be used in binary not source form [A]
- YAML is LGPL which is not compatible with the Apache license [B] so I don’t think we can’t use that

While well intentioned I though this may be an issue:
./Godeps/_workspace/src/github.com/mattn/go-sqlite3/sqlite3-binding.c

But it should be OK as SQLite is public domain:
https://www.sqlite.org/copyright.html

Here’s a summary of all the licenses involved (we’ll need this when assembling LICENSE and NOTICE)
Burnt Sushi - permissive - perhaps too much so :-) See [1]
go curl Apache [2]
mousetrap Apache [3]
logutils MPL [4]
pretty MIT [5]
properties BSD (2 clause) [6]
go SQLite MIT  [7]
Mao structure MIT [8]
Cast MIT [9] + BSD [15]
Cobra MIT [10] + Apache [16]
jWalterWeatherman MIT [11] + BSD (go authors) [17]
pFlag BSD (3 clause) [12]
Viper MIT [13]
YAML LGPL [14]

Thanks,
Justin

[A] http://www.apache.org/legal/resolved.html#category-b
[B] http://www.apache.org/legal/resolved.html#category-x

[1] https://github.com/BurntSushi/toml/blob/master/COPYING
[2] https://github.com/andelf/go-curl
[3] https://github.com/inconshreveable/mousetrap/blob/master/LICENSE
[4] https://github.com/hashicorp/logutils/blob/master/LICENSE
[5] https://github.com/kr/pretty/blob/master/License
[6] https://github.com/magiconair/properties/blob/master/LICENSE
[7] https://github.com/mattn/go-sqlite3/blob/master/LICENSE
[8] https://github.com/mitchellh/mapstructure/blob/master/LICENSE
[9] https://github.com/spf13/cast/blob/master/LICENSE
[10] https://github.com/spf13/cobra/blob/master/LICENSE.txt
[11] https://github.com/spf13/jWalterWeatherman/blob/master/LICENSE
[12] https://github.com/spf13/pflag/blob/master/LICENSE
[13] https://github.com/spf13/viper/blob/master/LICENSE
[14] https://github.com/go-yaml/yaml/blob/v2/LICENSE
[15] https://golang.org/src/html/template/content.go
[16] ./Godeps/_workspace/src/github.com/spf13/cobra/md_docs.go
[17]  ./Godeps/_workspace/src/github.com/spf13/pflag/*_test.go