Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by Rob Egan <ro...@artistdirect.com> on 2000/07/13 00:56:00 UTC

detecting memory leaks

Hi,

I have an Apache 1.3.12 server running on a Sun e450 with Solaris 7, Perl
5.6.0, and mod_perl 1.24. When I was testing the server everything seemed to
be ok, but once I moved the real content (including a bunch of perl CGI
scripts) onto it, I noticed that memory slowly gets eaten up. If I do the
math on how much memory is occupied by the current running processes, it
just doesn't add up. So, I suspect a memory leak. I use a product called
Purify to detect leaks, or mem access errors in the development stage, but
Purify only works for C, C++, Java, and a few others. How can I test
existing Perl programs to see if they leak memory (especially when I'm not a
programmer)? Any ideas?

-Rob
rob@artistdirect.com

Re: detecting memory leaks

Posted by David Hodgkinson <da...@hodgkinson.org>.
"Rob Egan" <ro...@artistdirect.com> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I have an Apache 1.3.12 server running on a Sun e450 with Solaris 7, Perl
> 5.6.0, and mod_perl 1.24. When I was testing the server everything seemed to
> be ok, but once I moved the real content (including a bunch of perl CGI
> scripts) onto it, I noticed that memory slowly gets eaten up. If I do the
> math on how much memory is occupied by the current running processes, it
> just doesn't add up. So, I suspect a memory leak. I use a product called
> Purify to detect leaks, or mem access errors in the development stage, but
> Purify only works for C, C++, Java, and a few others. How can I test
> existing Perl programs to see if they leak memory (especially when I'm not a
> programmer)? Any ideas?

Apache::Leak

but it's a tough one.

--