Posted to dev@hc.apache.org by Roland Weber <os...@dubioso.net> on 2007/04/16 19:18:52 UTC

Re: Fooooooood fight! was Re: [HttpAuth] HTTP authentication framework ported from 3.1 to 4.0

Hi Oleg,

> If you are referring to commit r514774 I thought the technical reasons
> were fairly clear: (1) we are not shipping contrib code with the
> official distribution, so what is the point to reference it in the build
> file? It just makes it messier

It hasn't hurt anyone so far, has it?

> (2) for the love of Lord what's wrong
> with having a local copy of the build script that exactly what you want
> the way you want?

Yepp, I should have thought about that last year when I set out to
rework the build process so that I would not have to maintain a
second one locally. Beginner's mistake. Now I can't use the build process
as it was, because the default build.xml filename is occupied. If I put
anything into the directory tree, it will inevitably end up in svn through
an accidental commit. Never mind, I should be able to hack something up
within two or three hours. It's just that I wouldn't have spent time on
the official build process last year if I had known that I wouldn't be
able to use it for my purposes.
My main issue with this change was that it feels pretty disrespectful if
almost half of your everyday build targets are removed without an advance
warning and discussion. (Not that I would have been able to put that in
words at the time. Then, it just hurt.) Besides, until you mentioned it
before the last release, I was assuming that we did include the full
Java directories, including contrib code, in the source distribution. I
never cared to check for the presence of individual subdirectories before.

> Please lighten up, Roland. There is no evil Russian conspiracy here

I'll be pondering that for some time. You'll know that I got over it
when I fix the JavaDoc warnings in core.

cheers,
  Roland

Re: Fooooooood fight! was Re: [HttpAuth] HTTP authentication framework ported from 3.1 to 4.0

Posted by Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>.
On Mon, 2007-04-16 at 20:03 +0200, Roland Weber wrote:
> Hi Oleg,
>
> > My main issue with the build.xml is that it evolved into something that
> > only one person could maintain and efficiently work with. I attempted to
> > address the situation by eliminating what I saw as unnecessary
> > complexity. I just could not think of this as something you might find
> > offending. Anyways, I apologize for whatever action on my part that came
> > across as disrespectful. It was not my intent.
>
> Thanks. I can see your point about the complexity. When the modules were
> introduced, it was really all kept together by naming conventions. I will
> create a local build process for my purposes when I find the time.
> Feel free to weed out HttpClient build.xml, too. You'll understand that
> I won't be throwing out the stuff I put in there myself :-)

Roland

I have spent countless hours developing and maintaining HttpClient 2.x
and 3.x codelines, even though I always considered them flawed
architecturally. Do you want to take a guess how much of that work will
be thrown away?

Oleg

Posted by Roland Weber <os...@dubioso.net>.
Hi Oleg,

Posted by Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>.
On Mon, 2007-04-16 at 19:18 +0200, Roland Weber wrote:
> Hi Oleg,
>
> > If you are referring to commit r514774 I thought the technical reasons
> > were fairly clear: (1) we are not shipping contrib code with the
> > official distribution, so what is the point to reference it in the build
> > file? It just makes it messier
>
> It hasn't hurt anyone so far, has it?
>
> > (2) for the love of Lord what's wrong
> > with having a local copy of the build script that exactly what you want
> > the way you want?
>
> Yepp, I should have thought about that last year when I set out to
> rework the build process so that I would not have to maintain a
> second one locally. Beginner's mistake. Now I can't use the build process
> as it was, because the default build.xml filename is occupied. If I put
> anything into the directory tree, it will inevitably end up in svn through
> an accidental commit.

Hi Roland,

Add whatever local files you do not want to end up committed through an
accidental commit to svn:ignore