Posted to bcel-user@jakarta.apache.org by   <rv...@thingfind.com> on 2004/07/23 01:26:38 UTC

Replacing Methods From Different Classes

Hi,
I am trying to replace a method binding from one class with another method in another class.  I haven't quite gotten this to work and any help would be appreciated.  Consider the example below:

public class A {

    public class X {
        public X() {
            m();      //can this be changed?
        }

        public void m() {
            System.out.println("A.X.m()");
        }
    }

    public static void main (String args []) {
    A a = new A();
    X x = a.new X();
    }
}

public class B extends A {

    public class X {
        public void m() {
            System.out.println("B.X.m()");
        }
    }
}

I am wondering if it is possible to change A.X.m() to reference B.X.m().  I know the use of inner classes here is not essential, and the fact that B extends A would make the need for overriding A.X.m() in A seemingly absurd.  This is more of a test to see if methods can be replaced in odd contexts.  My real goal is much larger.

I have used BCELifier to create some files and I tried to edit them to reflect the desired change, but got stuck on VerifiyErrors.  I'm not sure exactly what needs to be updated.  Also, I thought ClassGen.replaceMethod would work, but found a few errors.  Can anyone provide some insights?