Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Eric Desjardins <er...@ubisoft.com> on 2008/02/06 14:06:06 UTC

Changelist Support

Hi,

I found subversion great but I wonder why you don't have "perforce like"
changelist support. This is the only thing I found that svn lacks over
perforce.

Eric

RE: Changelist Support

Posted by Paul Koning <Pa...@dell.com>.

 Eric> Sure,

 Eric> Changelist: An atomic change transaction in Perforce. The
 Eric> changes specified in the changelist are not stored in the depot
 Eric> until the changelist is submitted to the depot.

 Eric> Basically, you can move changed files into an entity on the
 Eric> server that is called a changelist which is a list of changed
 Eric> file that remains local until you submit.

 Eric> Then you can submit you entire changelist. It is either totally
 Eric> accepted or rejected if it conflicts.

That's how Subversion always works.  You don't to ask for it with
special magic.

 Eric> You can work on multiple changelist at a time (on a same
 Eric> checkout) and can submit work by using changelist.

Subversion doesn't have that, explicitly.  But it's trivial to do this
with a decent shell.  I normally create a list of changed files (often
by doing an "svn status" and looking over the output, then pruning).
I then feed that to other svn commands:

  svn diff `cat changelist1`
or
  svn ci -m "submit work item 1" `cat changelist1`

      paul

Re: Changelist Support

Posted by John Peacock <jo...@havurah-software.org>.
Eric Desjardins wrote:
> Changelist: An atomic change transaction in Perforce. The changes specified
> in the changelist are not stored in the depot until the changelist is
> submitted to the depot.

Subversion 1.5 will have support for a client-side changelist (meaning that you
cannot share a changelist across two or more checkouts).  Any given file can be
in at most one changelist.

If you can't wait that long, SVK allows you to mirror a remote SVN repository,
commit your changes to a local branch and push multiple changes in an atomic
commit.  It also offers superior merge handling today, without waiting for
Subversion 1.5 (which is also going to have better merge handling).

	http://svk.bestpractical.com

HTH

John

Re: Changelist Support

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.
On Feb 6, 2008, at 16:31, Eric Desjardins wrote:

>> On Feb 6, 2008, at 08:06, Eric Desjardins wrote:
>>
>>> I found subversion great but I wonder why you don't have "perforce
>>> like" changelist support. This is the only thing I found that svn
>>> lacks over perforce.
>>
>> For those of us like myself who have never used perforce, perhaps you
>> could explain what this feature would do.
>

> Changelist: An atomic change transaction in Perforce. The changes
> specified in the changelist are not stored in the depot until the
> changelist is submitted to the depot.
>
> Basically, you can move changed files into an entity on the server
> that is called a changelist which is a list of changed file that
> remains local until you submit.
>
> Then you can submit you entire changelist. It is either totally
> accepted or rejected if it conflicts.
>
> You can work on multiple changelist at a time (on a same checkout)
> and can submit work by using changelist.
>
> From perforce help: http://www.perforce.com/perforce/doc.073/
> manuals/p4guide/04_files.html#10590
>
> I find it logical to work by changelist which is a way of
> organising your work that is very convenient.

Ok, that sounds like this prior discussion, which I haven't read
through just now but you may want to:

http://svn.haxx.se/users/archive-2005-12/0079.shtml

FYI: Commits in Subversion are always atomic. Either all your changes
are accepted, or none of them are.

RE: Changelist Support

Posted by Eric Desjardins <er...@ubisoft.com>.

Sure,

Changelist: An atomic change transaction in Perforce. The changes specified in the changelist are not stored in the depot until the changelist is submitted to the depot.

Basically, you can move changed files into an entity on the server that is called a changelist which is a list of changed file that remains local until you submit.

Then you can submit you entire changelist. It is either totally accepted or rejected if it conflicts.

You can work on multiple changelist at a time (on a same checkout) and can submit work by using changelist.

Re: Changelist Support

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.

Re: Changelist Support

Posted by Steven Bakke <st...@amd.com>.
On Feb 6, 2008, at 9:06 AM, Eric Desjardins wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I found subversion great but I wonder why you don’t have “perforce
> like” changelist support. This is the only thing I found that svn
> lacks over perforce.
>
> Eric

If you use perforce tags as 'labels', subversion also doesn't have
that.  Tags in subversion are cheap copies which is not the same
thing. (though you can somewhat approximate it)  Another thing about
perforce is that it knows where everybody's working copy is and there
is no metadata within the working copy.  The subversion server doesn't
know anything about working copies.

-steve