Posted to server-user@james.apache.org by Nathan Cheng <na...@yahoo.com> on 2005/05/14 09:30:46 UTC

query.bondedsender.org & 1000s of TIME_WAITs

Has anybody else noticed that query.bondedsender.org is apparently no longer functioning? At least it is not responding
to ping, and apparently is the cause for James' SMTP service not working for us the entire day: SMTP is working for the
first time today (technically yesterday--it's been a long "James" day) now that I've commented out the following from
our James config file:

          <!-- People on this list agree to pay a penalty if they send spam
          <mailet match="InSpammerBlacklist=query.bondedsender.org"
                  class="ToProcessor">
            <processor> transport </processor>
          </mailet>
          -->

I'm still not sure that this is the problem though, since netstat is still returning thousands of these lines:

tcp        0      0 10.235.221.9:46882          10.235.221.12:mysql       TIME_WAIT

and it just seems like it's not right to have 3118 of these at the same time, dying and being created seemingly by the
hundreds per second.

But SMTP is working now that bondedsender is no longer being consulted. But maybe that's just because the load has died
down and we still have an unsolved problem some where.

Any ideas anyone?

Thanks,

Nathan

Re: query.bondedsender.org & 1000s of TIME_WAITs

Posted by Nathan Cheng <na...@yahoo.com>.
I checked our config, and we have:

<data-source name="maildb" class="org.apache.james.util.dbcp.JdbcDataSource">
     <driver>org.gjt.mm.mysql.Driver</driver>
     <dburl>jdbc:mysql://somedomain/mail?autoReconnect=true</dburl>
     <user>someuser</user>
     <password>somepassword</password>
     <max>50</max>
</data-source>

So I think the problem lies somewhere other than in the max_idle setting.

Nathan

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
Stefano Bagnara wrote:

> I think there is a problem with the default DBCP configuration
> of the max_idle property.

That's possible.  I did run:

  svn log -r133208:155410 \
      http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/jakarta/commons/proper/dbcp/trunk

and the differences between DBCP 1.2.1 (r132208) and trunk (r155410) do not
appear significant to this issue.

> I see that James by default set "max_idle = 0"

That does not seem appropriate, as per the docs, since 0 means unlimited.

 ref: http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/dbcp/configuration.html

> I think the "max_idle = 0" should be considered a bug

I agree.  Want to open a JIRA issue and submit a patch for the config?

	--- Noel

Re: query.bondedsender.org & 1000s of TIME_WAITs

Posted by ap...@bago.org.

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
Nathan,

I had not noticed it, but I can confirm that at least this morning:

 $ dig @query.bondedsender.org 2.202.112.66.query.bondedsender.org
 ; <<>> DiG 9.2.1 <<>> @query.bondedsender.org
2.202.112.66.query.bondedsender.org
 ;; global options:  printcmd

It seems that a new company has aquired
(http://www.returnpath.biz/aboutus/newsroom/press/release.php?id=31&flash=ye
s) that program, and perhaps they are having migration pains.  The web site
(http://www.bondedsender.org/) is still up, and does not have any new
instructions.  I'll ping the support folks there.

However, my server continues to work fine.  It just can't whitelist people.
So I would suspect some other issue.