Posted to dev@sling.apache.org by Roy Teeuwen <ro...@teeuwen.be> on 2015/10/15 11:48:36 UTC

Slimming down a sling instance

Hello all,

We are currently in a situation that we have an AEM instance where we fetch
xml files from a filesystem and process them with jobs to get them imported
into the JCR. What I would like to do now is use the bundle we created for
this to also import them into another external system (of course in a
different format).

For reasons I can not tell, the exporting to the other system can not be
done in the already existing AEM, so my thought now is to make a second
sling instance where we can deploy the existing bundle in with a second
bundle having the specific classes to get it into the other system. The only
thing that bothers me is that this sling instance would contain a lot of
unused bundles.

So my question here is, what would be a good approach to create a
provisioning model that contains just the things I need? I don't think I can
just blindly delete bundles from the default provisioning model, because
surely there are interdependencies between them?

Thanks!
Greets,
Roy

Re: Slimming down a sling instance

Posted by Oliver Lietz <ap...@oliverlietz.de>.
On Thursday 15 October 2015 03:21:45 Roy Teeuwen wrote:
> Hey Oliver,
>
> Thanks! Looks exactly what I need :).
>
> What would be the added benefit of using sling launchpad karaf instead of
> using the provisioning model?

well, as I'm the author and maintainer the answer is somewhat biased:

Karaf is a "standard" OSGi launcher/container with lots of additional
features. You can easily deploy other applications besides Sling.
As you can see, Sling's "features" are already broken down to Karaf Features.
So installing a feature (e.g. Sling Models) is easy like that:

karaf@root()> feature:install sling-extension-models

But beware, there might be some edges as the transition from Jackrabbit to Oak
is still in progress (you can pick an older version of feature.xml from
SVN/Git and use Jackrabbit of course).

Regards,
O.

https://github.com/apache/sling/tree/trunk/contrib/launchpad/karaf
https://github.com/apache/sling/tree/trunk/samples/fling

Posted by Oliver Lietz <ap...@oliverlietz.de>.
On Thursday 15 October 2015 02:48:36 Roy Teeuwen wrote:
> Hello all,

hello Roy,

> We are currently in a situation that we have an AEM instance where we fetch
> xml files from a filesystem and process them with jobs to get them imported
> into the JCR. What I would like to do now is use the bundle we created for
> this to also import them into another external system (of course in a
> different format).
>
> For reasons I can not tell, the exporting to the other system can not be
> done in the already existing AEM, so my thought now is to make a second
> sling instance where we can deploy the existing bundle in with a second
> bundle having the specific classes to get it into the other system. The only
> thing that bothers me is that this sling instance would contain a lot of
> unused bundles.
>
> So my question here is, what would be a good approach to create a
> provisioning model that contains just the things I need? I don't think I can
> just blindly delete bundles from the default provisioning model, because
> surely there are interdependencies between them?

have a look at the Apache Karaf Feature file[0] for Sling, start with the
Sling feature and add required features to collect your bundles for your
provisioning model. Or use Sling Launchpad Karaf.

Regards,
O.

[0]
https://github.com/apache/sling/blob/trunk/contrib/launchpad/karaf/org.apache.sling.launchpad.karaf-features/src/main/feature/feature.xml