Posted to users@cloudstack.apache.org by Cristian Ciobanu <cr...@istream.today> on 2016/02/09 13:45:03 UTC

Over-provisioning CloudStack 4.5.2 - VMware 5.5

Hello,

     From what i see the over-provisioning factor not work, i set to 2.0 and i don't see any difference on System Capacity side, i see only on storage, is this a bug ? also i get insufficient system resources when i try VM deploy with more resources that i have in real life on my HOST

Regards,
Cristian

Re: Over-provisioning CloudStack 4.5.2 - VMware 5.5

Posted by Yiping Zhang <yz...@marketo.com>.
First of all,  please read the documents to understand how resource over provisioning works in CloudStack. It is complicated ...

IMHO, resource over provisioning is one of features which are best to be planned up front during initial set up.  If you plan to change over provisioning factors after you have deployed VM instances,  then those VM instances would need to be restarted in order to take full advantage of updated resource over provisioning factors.

In your case,  if you are already running against current resource limits in CloudStack, changing over provisioning factor won’t create more resources for you, since the existing resources are already reserved for running VM instances.  Only after you restart all the currently running VM instances, you will see updated resource usage/system capacity in dashboard in accordance with new over provisioning factor in effect.

Yiping