Posted to general@xml.apache.org by Peter Oliver Monz <pe...@ftk.de> on 2000/10/24 17:11:58 UTC

SAX parser should parse xml-document thats a string value ..?

Hello!

I hope anybody can help me. I used the xalan-Sample PureSAX
for testing. The sample uses files for input of xml- and xsl-files.
But I am looking for a method to read the xml/xsl-data directly
from a String or StringBuffer e.g. like:

SAXParser saxparser = new SAXParser();

String xmldata = "<?xml version=\"1.0\"?><CATALOG><BOOK><TITLE>A Certain
Justice</TITLE><AUTHOR>P.D.
James</AUTHOR><YEAR-PUBLISHED>1998</YEAR-PUBLISHED><ISBN>0375401091</ISBN></BOOK></CATALOG>";

saxparser.parse(xmldata);

But thats does not run, because of parse want to open the file named
"<?xml version ... " and the file is not existend.

Now I am looking for method that allows me to read the data direct
from a stringvalue.

Can anybody help me?

thanx.

peter monz

Re: SAX parser should parse xml-document thats a string value ..?

Posted by Dane Foster <df...@equitytg.com>.
You have a few options available to you.

1) You can wrap you an String in an InputSource object by creating a
StringReader object passing your String along as it's constructor argument,
then passing the StringReader to the InputSource object. i.e

InputSource iSource = new InputSource( new StringReader( myString ) );
//parser configuration details has been skipped for simplicity
parser.parse( iSource );

You could also use a CharArrayReader or ByteArrayInputStream as arguments to
the InputSource's constructor.

2) You can skip the InputSource object and convert your String to a an array
of bytes and pass that as an argument to a ByteArrayInputStream, then pass
the ByteArrayInputStream as a parameter to the parser's parse() method. See
documentation for exact signature of parse()

Peace

Dane