Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Simon Moore <Si...@condisline.com> on 2003/01/16 20:32:53 UTC

RE: Where has commons lang Strings.interpolate(String text, Map m ap) gone?

Anyway it's no big deal for me, it was just the one method.

	[SM]  I can agree with the first reason but what do you mean by 'new
concepts'.
	Commons-lang seems to me to be a repository for anything that has
been solidly proven
	to improve the java language itself be it exisiting or 'new'
concepts.

Posted by Henri Yandell <ba...@generationjava.com>.

On Thu, 16 Jan 2003, Simon Moore wrote:

> Anyway it's no big deal for me, it was just the one method.

Yeah. I have the same problem with the Jakarta String Taglib project.
It has its own personal StringUtils class to handle the missing methods :)

The big ones recently have been:

A MathUtils package. Should this be a new project called Math, or a
sub-package of Lang.

A reflection package. Basically helper/bug-fixer's around
java.lang.reflect. Should that go in Lang or in [reflect].

Functors. This is a common interface pattern, like FileFilters but more
generic. Should these live in Lang or [functor].

etc etc :)

There's a worry that as Lang grows, releases will be harder due to having
to wait for all the components to be ready. Of course, the very arguments
over the issue are what is currently holding up the Lang release. Whether
this proves the arguments or not, I dunno.

Hen