Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by Willy Reinhardt <wr...@novell.com> on 2004/12/13 11:44:32 UTC

Rép. : Forms in Cocoon

Hi,
Forms were a long discussion on our project. Questions were should we use the Cocoon framework (Cforms, Flowscript, JXTemplate) or should we use a simplest process like: define forms in XML and use XSL*€™s to transform and display the form.
In our project we need to:
-	Read and write data*€™s to database;
-	We don*€™t have a lot of validations on client side;
-	The workflow is made by the user;

The advantages of Cocoon framework are:
-	It*€™s documented;
-	It cover a wide range of problems;
-	It will probably continue to evolve;
-	XSL*€™s are provided we just  need some adaptations

The disadvantage of Cocoon framework (from our point of view)
-	It*€™s not so easy to implement (vs to solution XML->XSL->HTML)
-	The provided XSL doesn*€™t work with XSLTC (performance)
-	The development of  form is longer (more steps)
-	The transformation process to get the final HTML form is longer (performance)

Conclusion in our case we choose to create our own XSL*€™s and works with the following process:
-	Forms are defined in XML (with our own tags);
-	We create XSL*€™ to transform into HTML;

I hope this help.

Willy

>>> javascript@tin.it 12/12/04 19:35 >>>
I'm working on a page with form that update a database (Xindice).

The job is simple, but i'm working a lot because the forms, the
database, and the flow are various. I'm trying a lot this database and
that other, this esql solution and the native database, tha cform and
soon and soon...

Can anything send me any suggestions?  What is the better way? What is
the better solution in form's management?

Thanks