Posted to dev@hc.apache.org by Roland Weber <os...@dubioso.net> on 2007/08/11 20:13:21 UTC

Re: Connection Manager Garbage Collection

Roland Weber wrote:
> So here is my dubious stratagem...
>
> 1. move TSCCM into a separate package
> 2. factor out some of the inner classes
>   a) replace the nesting with weak or hard references
>   b) introduce interfaces where needed
> 3. move static maps into a separate class which
>    is marked for extinction
> 4. document the relations between the classes
>    in a package.html
> 5. perform remaining cleanup, exterminate 3.
> 6. see what can be generalized

I finally got around to take care of 4.
Please have a look and let me know whether
the documentation achieves to explain how
connection garbage collection depends on
the proper use of hard and weak references:
http://people.apache.org/~rolandw/client-jdoc/org/apache/http/impl/conn/tsccm/package-summary.html

Ignoring that there is always more cleanup
to be done, steps 1-5 are complete. Step 6
has a low priority. HTTPCLIENT-677 is now
the top item on the todo list for TSCCM.

cheers,
  Roland

Re: Connection Manager Garbage Collection

Posted by Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>.
On Sat, 2007-08-11 at 20:13 +0200, Roland Weber wrote:
> Roland Weber wrote:
> > So here is my dubious stratagem...
> >
> > 1. move TSCCM into a separate package
> > 2. factor out some of the inner classes
> >   a) replace the nesting with weak or hard references
> >   b) introduce interfaces where needed
> > 3. move static maps into a separate class which
> >    is marked for extinction
> > 4. document the relations between the classes
> >    in a package.html
> > 5. perform remaining cleanup, exterminate 3.
> > 6. see what can be generalized
>
> I finally got around to take care of 4.
> Please have a look and let me know whether
> the documentation achieves to explain how
> connection garbage collection depends on
> the proper use of hard and weak references:
> http://people.apache.org/~rolandw/client-jdoc/org/apache/http/impl/conn/tsccm/package-summary.html

Hi Roland

TSCCM is probably the most complex piece of code in HttpComponents and I
believe you did a good job documenting its inner workings.

Oleg