Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@red-bean.com> on 2006/01/22 17:35:33 UTC

Why I love TortoiseSVN.

I write musical scores for plays, and I often collaborate with other
people on the scores.  Subversion, I've discovered, is a perfect tool
for this:  my collaborators and I can effortlessly switch between
Windows and Mac platforms, lock files, see commit mails, and so on.
(Recently, I've even converted over a professional team of
music-typesetters to Subversion, and they're loving it too.)

Having the history of a score is amazing.  We're constantly revising
the music as the rehearsal process goes on.  Instead of making
backups, I just change things however I want and sit comfortably,
knowing that Subversion is remembering everything.

Today I was asked to resurrect a passage of music that had been
deleted a week ago.  I asked TortoiseSVN to show me the log of the
file:  all the versions displayed in a nice list.  I right-clicked an
older version of the file, and selected "open" from the drop-down
menu.  Poof, the old score popped up. I copied the old music passage
to the clipboard, then pasted it into a newest version of the file.

Sometimes GUI tools really *are* better than command-line tools.

Stephan, Luebbe:  thanks for such a great GUI!