Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by Christopher Painter-Wakefield <pa...@mc.duke.edu> on 2004/05/26 00:32:59 UTC

C2.1.5 - build.sh bug

There is a bug in the build.sh build script.  Sorry if this has been
covered before; this is my first build of a 2.1.x system.

The build.sh uses /bin/sh, which on Solaris and other traditional *nix is
typically Bourne shell.  The build.sh is not compatible with Bourne shell,
however.  I didn't check it for all errors, but the line
      export ANT_HOME=tools

breaks Bourne shell.  The correct syntax is
      ANT_HOME=tools
      export ANT_HOME

Perhaps the INSTALL.txt should mention this, and some workarounds?  I
simply changed the build.sh to use /bin/bash, which works on my system.

-Christopher

Re: C2.1.5 - build.sh bug

Posted by Glen Ezkovich <ge...@mac.com>.
On May 26, 2004, at 4:06 PM, Joerg Heinicke wrote:

> On 26.05.2004 00:32, Christopher Painter-Wakefield wrote:
>
>> There is a bug in the build.sh build script.  Sorry if this has been
>> covered before; this is my first build of a 2.1.x system.
>> The build.sh uses /bin/sh, which on Solaris and other traditional
>> *nix is
>> typically Bourne shell.  The build.sh is not compatible with Bourne
>> shell,
>> however.  I didn't check it for all errors, but the line
>>       export ANT_HOME=tools
>> breaks Bourne shell.  The correct syntax is
>>       ANT_HOME=tools
>>       export ANT_HOME
>> Perhaps the INSTALL.txt should mention this, and some workarounds?  I
>> simply changed the build.sh to use /bin/bash, which works on my
>> system.
>
> What's the suggested and prefered fix? Make it compatible for Bourne
> shell or simply switch to bash? What are the impacts?

I think a reasonable solution would be for someone who has edited
build.sh to be compatible with the Bourne shell to make their changes
available which can then made available for download. I'm sure someone
has done this. There are other shells which need even more work (csh).

There is also the general and lazy solution, include a comment in the
install.txt file about shell compatibility and suggest that build.sh be
run with /bin/bash.

> Joerg

Glen Ezkovich
HardBop Consulting
glen@hard-bop.com
http://www.hard-bop.com

A Proverb for Paranoids:
worry about answers."
- Thomas Pynchon Gravity's Rainbow

Re: C2.1.5 - build.sh bug

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org>.
David Crossley wrote:
> Joerg Heinicke wrote:
> > Christopher Painter-Wakefield wrote:
> >
> > > There is a bug in the build.sh build script.  Sorry if this has been
> > > covered before; this is my first build of a 2.1.x system.
> > >
> > > The build.sh uses /bin/sh, which on Solaris and other traditional *nix is
> > > typically Bourne shell.  The build.sh is not compatible with Bourne shell,
> > > however.  I didn't check it for all errors, but the line
> > >       export ANT_HOME=tools
> > >
> > > breaks Bourne shell.  The correct syntax is
> > >       ANT_HOME=tools
> > >       export ANT_HOME
> > >
> > > Perhaps the INSTALL.txt should mention this, and some workarounds?  I
> > > simply changed the build.sh to use /bin/bash, which works on my system.
> >
> > What's the suggested and prefered fix? Make it compatible for Bourne
> > shell or simply switch to bash? What are the impacts?
>
> The second syntax is okay for Bash too. So we would just
> need to split all environment settings into two commands.
> The build.sh already has a mixture of both methods.

Just updated cocoon-2.1 CVS HEAD, please try it. If you are
using the 2.1.5 release rather than current cvs then get it:
http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/*checkout*/cocoon-2.1/build.sh?content-type=text/plain

--David

Re: C2.1.5 - build.sh bug

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org>.