Posted to users@activemq.apache.org by Badri <ba...@fxall.com> on 2008/05/16 20:39:01 UTC

Reg JMX monitoring of Active MQ

Hi

I am using port 1099 for the jmx piece.

 <broker xmlns="http://activemq.apache.org/schema/core" useJmx="true">

<managementContext>
    <managementContext connectorPort="1099"/>
</managementContext>

Whenever I use the following URL:
service:jmx:rmi:///jndi/rmi://dev123:1099/jmxrmi
in jconsole & hit connect, I get "Connect Failed".

I got port 1099 opened from my desktop to dev123. But it looks like certain
other ports are also required to be opened everyday if I need to use
JConsole connecting to active mq. On day 1, I got port 33736 opened by the
network admins. Today I see it trying to access another port 55693.

Why are different ports being accessed? I am not sure where the problem
lies.
Is it problem with active mq or jconsole?

Can I configure in such a way that jconsole will only connect to 1099 & not
any other port?

This is my process running:
/opt/java/bin/java -Xmx512M
-Dorg.apache.activemq.UseDedicatedTaskRunner=true
-Dcom.sun.management.jmxremote -Djavax.net.ssl.keyStorePassword=password
-Djavax.net.ssl.trustStorePassword=password
-Djavax.net.ssl.keyStore=/opt/activemq/conf/broker.ks
-Djavax.net.ssl.trustStore=/opt/activemq/conf/broker.ts
-Dactivemq.classpath=/opt/activemq/conf; -Dactivemq.home=/opt/activemq
-Dactivemq.base=/opt/activemq -jar /opt/activemq/bin/run.jar start
-DSERVER=activemq1

Thanks
Badri

Re: Reg JMX monitoring of Active MQ

Posted by Hiram Chirino <hi...@hiramchirino.com>.
JMX/jconsole use RMI to communicate.  The 1099 port is the port that
the rmi registry is on.  The other port is the dynamic port allocated
dynamically by RMI for the JMX/RMI connector.

In theory it's possible to plugin other JMX connectors into the JVM
and jconsole (which might avoid this dynamic port issue) but I have
not seen that done yet.

What would be nice if one day someone built a JMX over JMS connector.

On Fri, May 16, 2008 at 2:39 PM, Badri
<ba...@fxall.com> wrote:

> Hi
>
> I am using port 1099 for the jmx piece.
>
>  <broker xmlns="http://activemq.apache.org/schema/core" useJmx="true">
>
> <managementContext>
>    <managementContext connectorPort="1099"/>
> </managementContext>
>
> Whenever I use the following URL:
> service:jmx:rmi:///jndi/rmi://dev123:1099/jmxrmi
> in jconsole & hit connect, I get "Connect Failed".
>
> I got port 1099 opened from my desktop to dev123. But it looks like certain
> other ports are also required to be opened everyday if I need to use
> JConsole connecting to active mq. On day 1, I got port 33736 opened by the
> network admins. Today I see it trying to access another port 55693.
>
> Why are different ports being accessed? I am not sure where the problem
> lies.
> Is it problem with active mq or jconsole?
>
> Can I configure in such a way that jconsole will only connect to 1099 & not
> any other port?
>
> This is my process running:
> /opt/java/bin/java -Xmx512M
> -Dorg.apache.activemq.UseDedicatedTaskRunner=true
> -Dcom.sun.management.jmxremote -Djavax.net.ssl.keyStorePassword=password
> -Djavax.net.ssl.trustStorePassword=password
> -Djavax.net.ssl.keyStore=/opt/activemq/conf/broker.ks
> -Djavax.net.ssl.trustStore=/opt/activemq/conf/broker.ts
> -Dactivemq.classpath=/opt/activemq/conf; -Dactivemq.home=/opt/activemq
> -Dactivemq.base=/opt/activemq -jar /opt/activemq/bin/run.jar start
> -DSERVER=activemq1
>
> Thanks
> Badri

Hiram