Posted to legal-discuss@apache.org by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com> on 2020/01/31 00:11:37 UTC

signed letter of support

Hi,

The Incubator been approached by a researcher at the University of California that wanted use to sign a letter to support their grant application.

They asked us to sign this:
"If the proposal submitted by Drs. Filkov, Frey, Bushouse, and Schweik entitled "GCR: Collaborative Research: Jumpstarting Successful OSS Projects With Evidence Based Rules and Structures" is selected for funding by NSF, it is my intent to collaborate and/or commit resources as detailed in the Project Description or the Facilities, Equipment and Other Resources section of the proposal.”

The relevant section in the proposal contains:
To extend our relevance, reach, and impact, we will leverage in this project data, knowhow, and network connections from the academic and OSS communities relevant to this proposal. In particular, (1) the personnel of NSF RCN grant #1917908, on the subject of coordinating efforts for rules/policy extractions from online sources, has agreed on supporting us in our efforts of automating rule/policy extractions, with their knowhow and data; (2) leaders from the ASF Incubator have agreed to support us through introductions and networking with their member projects as we pursue interviews and surveys with them; (3) members from the OSGeo foundation have agreed to support us through introductions and networking with their member projects as we pursue interviews and surveys with them; (4) personnel from the NSF Medium grant #1901311, on the subject of understanding sustainability in OSS projects, has agreed on mutual data exchange with our project. Submitted with this proposal are letters of collaboration from each of them.

It been pointed out that is this is probably too wide and shouldn't be signed in any official capacity. Do you concur?

Also given some issues with had with 3rd parties and surveys in the past currently I’m inclined not to sign it. That’s doesn’t mean that we wouldn’t support this effort and help where we can.

The deadline for signing is Friday 31, 3pm PST, or 6pm EST.

Thanks,
Justin

Re: signed letter of support

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.
All,

On 2/4/20 12:51 PM, Michael Mior wrote:
> FWIW, the language "leaders from the ASF Incubator" is not something
> I've seen before. I do like the suggested change of deferring to the
> PMC Chair.

Probably relevant:

"
"

-chris

Re: signed letter of support

Posted by Michael Mior <mm...@apache.org>.

Re: signed letter of support

Posted by Hen <ba...@apache.org>.

Re: signed letter of support

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@outlook.com>.
As Hen says, we are a volunteer org. There is no ASF thy can enact such introductions.

There are individuals. As I noted elsethread this is how I've handles these requests in the past (sometimes with me as the researcher, sometimes with me as the ASF member signing).

It's cleaner, quicker and simpler. Furthermore, the funding bodies (at least in the EU) recognize the titles we give to members.

________________________________
Just a note that this standard text that the NSF requires for letters.
It isn't intended to create an obligation, but to acknowledge interest
in participating. I understand that this might be complicated to work
through legally, but given that the ask was simply for introductions,
I hope that the ASF would consider this kind of support in the future.
(Speaking somewhat selfishly as someone who may end up making a
similar ask :) Note that when working out the details, the ASF would
still have the opportunity to decline to participate.
--
Michael Mior
mmior@apache.org

Le jeu. 30 janv. 2020 à 19:11, Justin Mclean
<ju...@classsoftware.com> a écrit :

> Hi,
>
> The Incubator been approached by a researcher at the University of California that wanted use to sign a letter to support their grant application.
>
> They asked us to sign this:
> "If the proposal submitted by Drs. Filkov, Frey, Bushouse, and Schweik entitled "GCR: Collaborative Research: Jumpstarting Successful OSS Projects With Evidence Based Rules and Structures" is selected for funding by NSF, it is my intent to collaborate and/or commit resources as detailed in the Project Description or the Facilities, Equipment and Other Resources section of the proposal.”
>
> The relevant section in the proposal contains:
> To extend our relevance, reach, and impact, we will leverage in this project data, knowhow, and network connections from the academic and OSS communities relevant to this proposal. In particular, (1) the personnel of NSF RCN grant #1917908, on the subject of coordinating efforts for rules/policy extractions from online sources, has agreed on supporting us in our efforts of automating rule/policy extractions, with their knowhow and data; (2) leaders from the ASF Incubator have agreed to support us through introductions and networking with their member projects as we pursue interviews and surveys with them; (3) members from the OSGeo foundation have agreed to support us through introductions and networking with their member projects as we pursue interviews and surveys with them; (4) personnel from the NSF Medium grant #1901311, on the subject of understanding sustainability in OSS projects, has agreed on mutual data exchange with our project. Submitted with this proposal are letters of collaboration from each of them.
>
> It been pointed out that is this is probably too wide and shouldn't be signed in any official capacity. Do you concur?
>
> Also given some issues with had with 3rd parties and surveys in the past currently I’m inclined not to sign it. That’s doesn’t mean that we wouldn’t support this effort and help where we can.
>
> The deadline for signing is Friday 31, 3pm PST, or 6pm EST.
>
> Thanks,
> Justin

---

Sent from my phone, you know what that means - sorry
________________________________

________________________________

Re: signed letter of support

Posted by Michael Mior <mm...@apache.org>.

Re: signed letter of support

Posted by Hen <ba...@apache.org>.
Too late, but I agree with you that the ASF shouldn't sign. Our committal
would be very vague ("introductions") and it's not clear if the leaders are
doing it on behalf of the ASF or in their personal capacity. Guessing; I
imagine we offered to help them avoid this backfiring heavily as 'pursue
interviews and surveys' sound like the kind of thing that can turn a
community against you if done bluntly.

Hen