Posted to dev@carbondata.apache.org by Indhumathi <in...@gmail.com> on 2018/09/14 06:30:41 UTC

[DISCUSSION] Support Binary DataType

Hello All,

I am working on supporting Binary DataType. Please find below
the scope and design approach for the same.

**Scope:**
  1. Create Table DDL support for Binary Data type column.
  2. Support loading of data for binary data type column [DataLoad && Insert
into DDL].
  3. Support querying binary data type columns.
  4. Describe formatted support to display the binary data type column.

**Proposed Solution:**
 1. Implement a Binary converter BinaryFieldConverterImpl, which takes
CarbonRow as
     input and converts data to Hex decoded ByteArray during
RowConverterImpl step.
 2. Create a Column Page for Binary Datatype similar to BYTE_ARRAY page.
 3. Encoding type for Binary data type is DIRECT_COMPRESS and compress data
     using getLVFlattenedBytePage() and return encoded data.
     While decoding, check whether if column is of BINARY datatype,
     and decode it to a newBinaryPage().
 4. For Querying Binary data type columns, implement a BinaryVectorFiller,
     which fills byte array data to CarbonColumnVector.

 Please provide your inputs and comments. Any suggestion from community is
 most welcomed.

Regards,
Indhumathi

Re: [DISCUSSION] Support Binary DataType

Posted by Indhumathi <in...@gmail.com>.
Hi Jacky Li,

Yes. I am extending PR-2670 and working on that, for binary data type.

Regards,
Indhumathi M

Re: [DISCUSSION] Support Binary DataType

Posted by xuchuanyin <xu...@hust.edu.cn>.
What is the difference between string and binary datatype in your processing?
Will you introduce special UDFs for the binary datatype?

At last, since you will add a new datatype, the test cases for index datamap will also be considered to support.

Re: [DISCUSSION] Support Binary DataType

Posted by Jacky Li <ja...@qq.com>.
There is an existing PR 2665 that works on binary data type, is your work based on that PR and a new one?

Regards,
Jacky