Posted to users@directory.apache.org by Ike Ikonne <ii...@us.ibm.com> on 2014/12/02 17:26:21 UTC

Issue with starting ApacheDS

Hi All,

I have noticed that everyone now and then that I am not able to start
Apache DS as a windows service;
so today I tried to start it as a console application and then I see the
following stacktrace, does
anyone have an idea what is going on?  I have copied log4.properties to my
ApacheDS instance
conf directory but I still continue to see the stacktrace and moreover, my
Apache DS will not
start anymore.  Here is the stacktrace and the log4.properties that I am
using.

**********************************************************************************************************************************************************
C:\ApacheDS-2.0.0-M18\bin>wrapper.exe -c ../conf/wrapper.conf
wrapper  | --> Wrapper Started as Console
wrapper  | Launching a JVM...
jvm 1    | log4j:ERROR Could not read configuration file from URL
[file:/%INSTANCE_DIRECTORY%/conf/log4j.properties].
jvm 1    | java.lang.IllegalArgumentException
jvm 1    |      at sun.net.www.ParseUtil.decode(ParseUtil.java:202)
jvm 1    |      at
sun.net.www.protocol.file.Handler.openConnection(Handler.java:82)
jvm 1    |      at
sun.net.www.protocol.file.Handler.openConnection(Handler.java:72)
jvm 1    |      at java.net.URL.openConnection(URL.java:971)
jvm 1    |      at
org.apache.log4j.PropertyConfigurator.doConfigure(PropertyConfigurator.java:555)
jvm 1    |      at
org.apache.log4j.helpers.OptionConverter.selectAndConfigure(OptionConverter.java:526)
jvm 1    |      at
org.apache.log4j.LogManager.<clinit>(LogManager.java:127)
jvm 1    |      at
org.slf4j.impl.Log4jLoggerFactory.getLogger(Log4jLoggerFactory.java:66)
jvm 1    |      at
org.slf4j.LoggerFactory.getLogger(LoggerFactory.java:277)
jvm 1    |      at
org.slf4j.LoggerFactory.getLogger(LoggerFactory.java:288)
jvm 1    |      at
org.apache.directory.server.wrapper.ApacheDsTanukiWrapper.<clinit>(ApacheDsTanukiWrapper.java:40)
jvm 1    | log4j:ERROR Ignoring configuration file
[file:/%INSTANCE_DIRECTORY%/conf/log4j.properties].
jvm 1    | Wrapper (Version 3.2.3) http://wrapper.tanukisoftware.org
jvm 1    |   Copyright 1999-2006 Tanuki Software, Inc.  All Rights
Reserved.
jvm 1    |
jvm 1    |
jvm 1    | WARNING - Unable to load the Wrapper's native library
'wrapper.dll'.
jvm 1    |           The file is located on the path at the following
location but
jvm 1    |           could not be loaded:
jvm 1    |             C:\ApacheDS-2.0.0-M18\bin\..\lib\wrapper.dll
jvm 1    |           Please verify that the file is readable by the
current user
jvm 1    |           and that the file has not been corrupted in any way.
jvm 1    |           One common cause of this problem is running a 32-bit
version
jvm 1    |           of the Wrapper with a 64-bit version of Java, or vica
versa.
jvm 1    |           This is a 64-bit JVM.
jvm 1    |           Reported cause:
jvm 1    |             C:\ApacheDS-2.0.0-M18\lib\wrapper.dll: Can't load
IA 32-bit .dll on a AMD 64-bit platform
jvm 1    |           System signals will not be handled correctly.
jvm 1    |
jvm 1    | log4j:WARN No appenders could be found for logger
(org.apache.directory.server.wrapper.ApacheDsTanukiWrapper).
jvm 1    | log4j:WARN Please initialize the log4j system properly.
jvm 1    | log4j:WARN See
http://logging.apache.org/log4j/1.2/faq.html#noconfig for more info.
wrapper  | <-- Wrapper Stopped
*****************************************************************************************************************************************************************

log4j.rootCategory=WARN, stdout, R

log4j.appender.R.File=apacheds-rolling.log

log4j.appender.R.MaxFileSize=1024KB
# Keep some backup files
log4j.appender.R.MaxBackupIndex=5

log4j.appender.R.layout.ConversionPattern=[%d{HH:mm:ss}] %p [%c] - %m%n

log4j.appender.stdout.layout.ConversionPattern=[%d{HH:mm:ss}] %p [%c] -
%m%n

# with these we'll not get inundated when switching to DEBUG
log4j.logger.org.apache.directory.shared.ldap.name=WARN
log4j.logger.org.springframework=WARN
log4j.logger.org.apache.directory.shared.codec=WARN
log4j.logger.org.apache.directory.shared.asn1=WARN

Re: Issue with starting ApacheDS

Posted by Emmanuel Lécharny <el...@gmail.com>.
Le 02/12/14 19:52, Carlo.Accorsi@ibs-ag.com a écrit :
> Hi, we had a similar problem where java was being auto updated on one of our machines.
> We stick with a 32bit java runtime on non-production boxes. 64bit machines require a registered copy of the java service wrapper.
> Hope that helps.

Damn it, you are right !

Tanuki changed its license from an MIT license to a proprietary one in
the following versions, and teh Windows 64 bits version is not available
for free with a compatible license.

That means you can't use a 64 bits JVM on windows.

There is an opened JIRA for switching to a better wrapper...

Thanks Carlo !

RE: Issue with starting ApacheDS

Posted by Ca...@ibs-ag.com.
Hi, we had a similar problem where java was being auto updated on one of our machines.
We stick with a 32bit java runtime on non-production boxes. 64bit machines require a registered copy of the java service wrapper.
Hope that helps.

Yes, in fact, if I re-install ApachDS, it runs for say a couple of weeks, then all of a sudden I notice this behavior and then I have to reinstall ApachDS again to get things going, it is really annoying and I would like to get to the bottom of it ...

Thanks,

Ike

From:   Emmanuel Lécharny <el...@gmail.com>
To:     users@directory.apache.org,
Date:   12/02/2014 11:13 AM

Le 02/12/14 17:26, Ike Ikonne a écrit :
> Hi All,
>
> I have noticed that everyone now and then that I am not able to start
> Apache DS as a windows service; so today I tried to start it as a
> console application and then I see the

> following stacktrace, does
> anyone have an idea what is going on?  I have copied log4.properties
my
> ApacheDS instance
> conf directory but I still continue to see the stacktrace and
> moreover,
my
> Apache DS will not
> start anymore.  Here is the stacktrace and the log4.properties that I
> am

> using.
>
> jvm 1    |             C:\ApacheDS-2.0.0-M18\lib\wrapper.dll: Can't load

> IA 32-bit .dll on a AMD 64-bit platform

Have you loaded and installed a 32 bits package on your 64 bit machine ?

Re: Issue with starting ApacheDS

Posted by Emmanuel Lécharny <el...@gmail.com>.
Le 02/12/14 18:34, Ike Ikonne a écrit :
> Hi
>
> Yes, in fact, if I re-install ApachDS, it runs for say a couple of weeks,
> then all of a sudden
> I notice this behavior and then I have to reinstall ApachDS again to get
> things going,
> it is really annoying and I would like to get to the bottom of it ...

I wonder if some other process or installer is replacing thr wrapper ?

May be make it read only ?

Re: Issue with starting ApacheDS

From:   Emmanuel Lécharny <el...@gmail.com>
To:     users@directory.apache.org,