Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Rachel <we...@rachelandrew.co.uk> on 2002/11/23 22:42:01 UTC

referencing html / static elements from outside an application

Hi

I'm very new to struts and to Java (recovering ASP developer!) and am
really still trying to get my head round this whole new way of working as
what I don't want to do is attempt a direct replication of my ASP way of
working with jsp and leave it there - highly tempting but I can see there
are better ways of working! Anyhow I have a question regarding templates
and content from outside the application.

My set-up is: JBoss 3.04 Tomcat 4.1 + Struts + Apache on Solaris 9

I've built a simple application using templates following the templates
example which I downloaded from the struts site, which I have deployed on
JBoss and that works. A template which is called in by a JSP page and
includes a header and footer. At this point I have to rebuild the
application if I want to change the CSS, or add something to the footer
which is static html, so I was hoping to find a way to place this static
content outside of the application.

I was looking for a way to set a variable globally of the location of the
static content so I could just reference it - as when I move to the live
server the path will be different, but is it even possible to reference
something that is external to the application (I did try doing so by adding
the full URL to the put tag, eg:  <template:put name='content'
content='http://mysite/content1.html'/> but that didn't work) and if so how
I am best to structure this?

I have done some searching to try and find the answer as I'm sure this is a
simple question, but with the whole concept being new I'm still struggling
somewhat to know what to search for!

Thanks

Rachel