Posted to c-dev@xerces.apache.org by Mike Pogue <mp...@apache.org> on 2000/09/29 06:55:32 UTC

Re: XML and VoiceXML

Actually, VoiceXML *is* XML, so it should be possible to use a single XML
source, and generate either HTML, WML, or VXML using different stylesheets.
Be aware, however,
that a voice interface is very linear, while HTML is two dimensional and
visual.  This may sound obvious, but it has real implications for how the
VXML output should look, if you want
it to be useful.  It will probably complicate the process of writing such a
stylesheet.

Here's the link to the latest VoiceXML spec:  http://www.w3.org/TR/voicexml/
Expect it to change (it's not yet at Candidate Recommendation).

Here's a simple example:

SAMPLE INPUT XML FILE ======================================

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<myQuestions>
    <question>Why is the sky blue?</question>
    <answer>Because it is.</answer>
</myQuestions>

SAMPLE HTML OUTPUT FILE ===================================
<HTML>
<HEAD>
     <META HTTP-EQUIV="Content-Type" CONTENT="text/html;CHARSET=iso-8859-1">
     <TITLE>Questions</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>
    <H2>Questions</H2>
    <BLOCKQUOTE>
         <P>Why is the sky blue?</P>
         <P>Because it is.
    </BLOCKQUOTE>
</BODY>
</HTML>

SAMPLE VOICE XML OUTPUT FILE============================
<vxml version="1.0">
    <form>
        <block>
            <audio>Why is the sky blue?</audio>
            <audio>Because it is.</audio>
            <exit/>
        </block>
    </form>
</vxml>

Of course, this is a simple example!
A more complex interaction might result in an HTML <form>, and
some VXML <prompt>'s.  Such a stylesheet is likely to be complex, if you
want both HTML and VXML to be "user-friendly".

Hope this helps -- it sounds like a fun project!
Mike

Posted by Arnaud Le Hors <le...@us.ibm.com>.
Mike Pogue wrote:

> Here's the link to the latest VoiceXML spec:  http://www.w3.org/TR/voicexml/
> Expect it to change (it's not yet at Candidate Recommendation).

As a matter of fact it's not even a Working Draft, it's only a
Submission. So, what happens to it in the future, from a W3C standpoint,
is even more uncertain. From the attached W3C Staff Comment
(http://www.w3.org/Submission/2000/04/Comment):

Disclaimer: Placing a Submission on a Working Group agenda does not
imply endorsement by either the W3C Staff or the participants of the
Working Group, nor does it guarantee that the Working Group will agree
to take any specific action on a Submission.

Re: XML and VoiceXML

Posted by Arnaud Le Hors <le...@us.ibm.com>.

Re: XML and VoiceXML

Posted by Arnaud Le Hors <le...@us.ibm.com>.