Posted to dev@wicket.apache.org by Eelco Hillenius <ee...@gmail.com> on 2007/10/20 08:44:09 UTC

beta 5 this weekend?

Hey,

If someone (Frank?) is up to helping me a bit this weekend, how about
putting our beta 5 this weekend. The reason is selfish: we
(Teachscape) are gonna do a big release this weekend, I just fixed an
issue I need, and I also would like to use the memory improvements,
but I don't want to fix on a SNAPSHOT. But it's also a practice round
to see whether we can release more often.

WDYT?

Eelco

Re: beta 5 this weekend?

Posted by Igor Vaynberg <ig...@gmail.com>.
well, the idea is that we dont release it until after 1.3.2 by which
time there shouldnt be very many bugs left in 1.3

-igor

Re: beta 5 this weekend?

Posted by Johan Compagner <jc...@gmail.com>.
i only see 1 problem arise if we quickly release the 1.4 version

then we have this:

people still on 1.2.x (there are still bug reports coming in....)
people on 1.3
people on 1.4
and we have then branch for 2.0?

and i have to see if we can "finalize" 1.3 with one (or 2) release(s)

Of course just create a milestone (beta1 or what ever we call it) then
people can use it but it won't be the final release

Re: beta 5 this weekend?

Posted by Martijn Dashorst <ma...@gmail.com>.

Re: beta 5 this weekend?

Posted by Johan Compagner <jc...@gmail.com>.
yeah right.

Re: beta 5 this weekend?

Posted by Eelco Hillenius <ee...@gmail.com>.
On 10/22/07, Igor Vaynberg <ig...@gmail.com> wrote:
> correct me if im wrong, but the plan was (and still is?) for 1.4 to
> ONLY have the generics applied...

Yes. 1.4 is for the last missing JDK 5 related features of 2.0.

Eelco

Re: beta 5 this weekend?

Posted by Igor Vaynberg <ig...@gmail.com>.

Re: beta 5 this weekend?

Posted by Johan Compagner <jc...@gmail.com>.

Re: beta 5 this weekend?

Posted by Martijn Dashorst <ma...@gmail.com>.

Re: beta 5 this weekend?

Posted by John Patterson <jd...@gmail.com>.
On 22 Oct 2007, at 16:18, Johan Compagner wrote:

> but then you choose for it (you really have to make a choice what
> kind of
> object you put in it)
> thats not the case if it wasn't there.
>
> Also we could make it so that it was really 1 way of doing so
> object.getClass() == getClass()
> then even that wouldn't work. But that just annoys i guess.

True dat.  Let the caster beware.  I am really looking forward to
using the generics.

John.

Re: beta 5 this weekend?

Posted by Johan Compagner <jc...@gmail.com>.

Re: beta 5 this weekend?

Posted by John Patterson <jd...@gmail.com>.

Re: beta 5 this weekend?

Posted by Johan Compagner <jc...@gmail.com>.

Re: beta 5 this weekend?

Posted by John Patterson <jd...@gmail.com>.

Re: beta 5 this weekend?

Posted by "Philip A. Chapman" <pc...@pcsw.us>.
On Mon, 2007-10-22 at 18:27 +0200, Johan Compagner wrote:
> for me generics is not an api change.
> do you think that there was an api change in the jdk collection classes when
> they applied generices?

I've always thought of adding generics as an api change.  Sure, it's one
that doesn't break backward compatibility, but it's a change non the
less.  I'll not argue the point however as it is largely academic.  I
asked a clarifying question and you where nice enough to answer.  I just
hadn't heard much about generics lately and wanted to be really sure
that I was doing the right thing by waiting for them.

> the old code will still compile fine with the new generified api

Yes.  This I know.  You'll get compiler warnings, but those can be
turned off.

Thanks for the clarification.  I'll continue to hope for a quick beta
program for 1.3.  I'm always the optimist.

Re: beta 5 this weekend?

Posted by Johan Compagner <jc...@gmail.com>.

AW: beta 5 this weekend?

Posted by Stefan Lindner <li...@visionet.de>.
You are asking the same question as I do for myself. How and when can we wicket 2.0 users can continue to use current wicket versions.

Re: beta 5 this weekend?

Posted by "Philip A. Chapman" <pc...@pcsw.us>.

Re: beta 5 this weekend?

Posted by Martijn Dashorst <ma...@gmail.com>.
Then they can write the second edition of Wicket in Action. I'm
through with revising the manuscript on each whim ;-)

Martijn

Re: beta 5 this weekend?

Posted by Igor Vaynberg <ig...@gmail.com>.

Re: beta 5 this weekend?

Posted by Johan Compagner <jc...@gmail.com>.
But api breaking or not that still doesn't mean anything because if they
use the label "beta5" now and they use that now in production and it works
perfect for them
then that label doesnt say anything.

But i agree if they need a fix then the drop in beta6 or RC or final could
maybe not work.

Re: beta 5 this weekend?

Posted by Martijn Dashorst <ma...@gmail.com>.

Re: beta 5 this weekend?

Posted by Eelco Hillenius <ee...@gmail.com>.
On 10/22/07, Johan Compagner <jc...@gmail.com> wrote:
> i think there are no really major showstoppers at the moment. (as far as i
> know)
> And whats the difference for you if you just take beta5 now and use that in
> your production
> or if we already called that final? It will be the same kind of code.
> There isn't anything different then the label we give it..
>
> What is importand for you is do all your pages work are you seeing
> unexpected features?

Sure, personally I don't care much about the labels (in fact, we're
now running our production server on beta 4, and I'm completely fine
with that), but several people expressed that they (or their bosses)
do care about it. Furthermore, we'll probably still in beta next year
october if we don't start committing ourselves to RCs/ final releases
:-)

Eelco

Re: beta 5 this weekend?

Posted by Johan Compagner <jc...@gmail.com>.

Re: beta 5 this weekend?

Posted by Evan Chooly <ev...@gmail.com>.

Re: beta 5 this weekend?

Posted by Watter <ma...@welchkin.net>.

Watter wrote:

> igor.vaynberg wrote:
>>
>> i am not aware of any "show-stopping" bugs, so i am ok if the next
>> release is an RC1.
>>

> I'll pipe in as a user here. We have struggled with the markup ID issues
> discussed here:
> http://www.nabble.com/getMarkupId-doesn%27t-return-the-id-from-the-markup-tf3972925.html#a12525507
>
> If this can't be handled in an intuitive manner (i.e. utilizing the ID
> specified in the HTML template) then at the very least, this behavior and
> any workarounds (like the one at
> http://www.nabble.com/Re%3A-getMarkupId-doesn%27t-return-the-id-from-the-markup-p12532067.html)
> need to be well documented.
>
> I realize that the way this works may be second nature to you as
> developers of the framework, but you have to understand that from a user's
> point of view it's a complete surprise that we can't reliably specify ID's
> on our HTML elements. I still don't completely understand the technical
> reasons for this, but I do trust that if it were easy to fix, it would
> have already been done. I just need to have a clearly defined set of
> processes that I can point my manager and development team to when they
> encounter this issue. If I fully understood the problem and the solutions,
> I'd create that documentation myself, but unfortunately, I don't.  Even
> Matej's workaround that I linked to above doesn't make complete sense to
> me. I think I understand the general goal, but not technically how to
> achieve it.

After reading this, I realized it came off a little critical. That certainly
wasn't my intent. I would simply like to have an official list of ways to
deal with the need for custom Javascript and CSS to know about the ID's of
wicket-managed HTML elements. If folks can point me in the direction of some
threads or JIRA issues where this is discussed, I'd be happy to compile that
list myself.

Re: beta 5 this weekend?

Posted by Johan Compagner <jc...@gmail.com>.
look at the TextTemplateHeaderContributor.forJavaScript()

you can then substitute javascript id's with the generated onces.

johan

Re: beta 5 this weekend?

Posted by Watter <ma...@welchkin.net>.

Re: beta 5 this weekend?

Posted by Johan Compagner <jc...@gmail.com>.
i think matej explained it very well in the link you gave in your mail.
The markup id of a component is only know when the component is rendered
in wicket we have 2 phases:

1> request phase (listener phase/component construction phase)
2> response phase (the render phase)

so if you want a markupid in the first phase OR you want a markupid of a
component in the second phase
that is itself not rendered yet. We have to generate it because the markup
is not attached to the component yet
and we don't know the markupid from the html

Also if we get the markup id from the template then we could generate
wrong/invalid html because if you would use
that in a repeater you have 2'or more of the same id.

So why do you need the id? Let the id be generated and use only class for
css

Re: beta 5 this weekend?

Posted by Watter <ma...@welchkin.net>.

Re: beta 5 this weekend?

Posted by Igor Vaynberg <ig...@gmail.com>.

Re: beta 5 this weekend?

Posted by Gerolf Seitz <ge...@gmail.com>.

Re: beta 5 this weekend?

Posted by Johan Compagner <jc...@gmail.com>.

Re: beta 5 this weekend?

Posted by Gerolf Seitz <ge...@gmail.com>.

Re: beta 5 this weekend?

Posted by dtoffe <dt...@yahoo.com.ar>.

Johan Compagner wrote:

> We just have to look to the buglist and make sure what is really needed to
> fix for final release
> Not all bugs that are on my list are a real prio for the release of 1.4
>
> I am really curious what bugs are really stopping people for using the
> current build...
>
> johan

    It's not about specific bugs, it's this little "beta4" that my boss
don't like. Stable as in "no new features or breaking changes" is enough,
and as some less important bugs are found, some bugfix could be released as
1.3.01 for example.

Cheers,

Daniel

Re: beta 5 this weekend?

Posted by Johan Compagner <jc...@gmail.com>.

Re: beta 5 this weekend?

Posted by Gerolf Seitz <ge...@gmail.com>.

Re: beta 5 this weekend?

Posted by Igor Vaynberg <ig...@gmail.com>.

Re: beta 5 this weekend?

Posted by Johan Compagner <jc...@gmail.com>.
+1 if frank or martijn can spend the time on this
please release.

Re: beta 5 this weekend?

Posted by Frank Bille <fr...@apache.org>.
Sorry for joining in so late. I don't have any time this weekend to do a
release. I have time next weekend (3-4. nov.)

Frank

Re: beta 5 this weekend?

Posted by Eelco Hillenius <ee...@gmail.com>.
> If someone (Frank?) is up to helping me a bit this weekend, how about
> putting our beta 5 this weekend. The reason is selfish: we
> (Teachscape) are gonna do a big release this weekend, I just fixed an
> issue I need, and I also would like to use the memory improvements,
> but I don't want to fix on a SNAPSHOT. But it's also a practice round
> to see whether we can release more often.
>
> WDYT?

Turned out I've been to busy myself to prepare a release. Sorry about
the noise. For the record - and in reaction of what some people said
on this thread -, I'm all for starting RC soon. I do think we should
first clear the database of any currently known bugs, unless they are
*really* trivial (i.e. acceptable workarounds exists). Someone (or
some) should go through the list, assign versions and determine
whether it is a valid bug or something else (improvement/ feature
request). I think we can bump most feature requests/ improvements to
1.4 and focus on working towards a final release.

Eelco