Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Bill -Sx- Jones <sn...@mac.com> on 2002/03/12 20:51:38 UTC

Virtual hosts, Scripts, et al ...

If you need to host 1,000+ for Scripts, they must all be added or you will
need to change the Perl script itself...

If VH hurts - you are doing wrong...

If the Terminal is the best place to find /private/etc/httpd

Then either learn Terminal or purchase BBEdit  :)

Cheers!
-Sx-  :]

Re: OS X httpd.conf

Posted by Bill -Sx- Jones <sn...@mac.com>.
On 3/13/02 11:06 AM, "Geoff Coffey" <gc...@wmotion.com> wrote:

> 6: Open the "Login" System Preference panel (in System Preferences)
> 7: Switch to the Login Window tab
> 8: Enable the "Show 'Other User' in list for network users" option
>
> Now log out. From the login window, you'll have an "Other" option. Click it
> and you'll be presented with a username and password field. For the
> username, enter "root". For the password, enter the password you gave root
> on step 4.
>
> You'll be logged in as root, and all your GUI applications will have root
> level access.

Please don't do that - it may likely cause you to have other unrelated
problems later when you are your normal self again.

It is better to log in as your normal self and SU to root.

Otherwise, if you do log in as root and touch something to become root only
access whereas it would work as the other self, I feel you will likely need
to ask us a TON of root questions now...

This is WAY OT now...
-Sx-  :]

Re: OS X httpd.conf

Posted by print <pr...@rogers.com>.
Problem solved, after login out and then back in as root
able to open httpd.conf file using codewarrior 7 and edit it. Didn't
need BBedit 6.5
Thanx again!

Re: OS X httpd.conf

Posted by print <pr...@rogers.com>.
Thank you for not booting this topic off the list, from what I understand
X Server is for serving 100 sites and more, X is for serving 2 sites.
Yet instead of using the list for petty stuff I decided to utilize my 90
day
free support by calling Apple, they couldn't tell me how to alter the
httpd.conf file,
but they'll get a techie to call me back. What are we Newbies suppose to
do when there is no online support for simple things as logging in as
Root? and trying to find support on unix commands is just as hard! After
logging in as root unable to find the etc/httpd.conf
Anyway I'll get bbedit 6.5 and try that.

Re: OS X httpd.conf

Posted by Print <pr...@rogers.com>.
Ok I was able to login as Root your directions were much clearer than
Apple's telephone support, Apple never asked me to logout before the changes
would take effect. Anyway am able to open the httpd.conf file and alter it
using Codewarrior 7, so bbedit 6.5 is not necessary. Now all I have to do is
figure out how to add a 2nd virtualhost sucessfully. Thanx

Re: OS X httpd.conf

Posted by Geoff Coffey <gc...@wmotion.com>.

Re: OS X httpd.conf

Posted by Darrel Austin <da...@visi.com>.
O'Reilly has a nice tutorials on Apache and OSX:

http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/ct/49

-Darrel

Re: OS X httpd.conf

Posted by print <pr...@rogers.com>.

Re: OS X httpd.conf

Posted by Bill -Sx- Jones <sn...@mac.com>.
On 3/13/02 10:49 AM, "print" <pr...@rogers.com> wrote:

> Was able to open httpd.conf with codewarrior 7 but restricted from
> making changes
> says its a read only file, so made a copy of it named it httpd1.conf and
> that is also a read only file. Then tried to change the file status
> using chmod in the terminal and that doesn't work.

Did you turn on the guy named root?

He will show you how AFTER you enable him to do so...

(You must have missed my posting about enabling root a while back, huh?)

???
-Sx-  :]

Re: OS X httpd.conf

Posted by print <pr...@rogers.com>.