Posted to dev@hbase.apache.org by Andrew Purtell <ap...@apache.org> on 2017/01/07 00:51:51 UTC

Resignation as RM for branch 0.98

HBasers,

Happy new year!

The 0.98 branch has had a great run at a fairly constant release cadence,
producing 24 releases in all.

I served as the branch RM for 98 for all of that time, and now I feel the
time has come to move on to work with more recent code. Therefore please
consider this my resignation as such (it's an informal position after all
(smile)) from the role of branch 98 RM.

It will be up to the PMC to decide what to do about 98 going forward. My
recommendation is to put out the message that 98 branch has been end of
lifed (EOL). There is no reason someone else couldn't don the RM hat and
put out an additional 98 release, for example, in order to deal with a
critical fix for something we just can't abide shipping as the last release
of anything. That person might even be me. However, without a dedicated
shepard the management of the 98 branch is pretty difficult these days. It
requires Java 6 to build, which requires a hack to its security classes to
communicate with modern SSL servers like repository.apache.org, and
mandates Hadoop 1 compatibility, which can lead to tricky problems found
only at release time. Backports are rarely clean. Assume 30 minutes to 2
hours work for each attempt at a backport, including time for tests to
complete. Maintaining and releasing 98 branch will be a time commitment.
FWIW. All that said if someone else would like to step up into the 98 RM
role, then we don't need to consider calling it EOL. However, as I've said,
that is my humble recommendation to the PMC.

--
Best regards,

   - Andy

If you are given a choice, you believe you have acted freely. - Raymond
Teller (via Peter Watts)

Re: Resignation as RM for branch 0.98

Posted by Stack <st...@duboce.net>.
Thanks for carrying 0.98 for this long Andrew (+1 on EOL Message).
St.Ack

Posted by ramkrishna vasudevan <ra...@gmail.com>.
Thanks for your efforts Andrew. +1 on EOL of 0.98.

Posted by Josh Elser <el...@apache.org>.

Posted by Ted Yu <yu...@gmail.com>.
Kudos to Andrew.

Posted by Enis Söztutar <en...@apache.org>.

Posted by Mikhail Antonov <ol...@gmail.com>.
Yeah - thank you for all hard work and time investment on reviews,
cherry-picking, backporting and testing Andrew!

+1 to retire 0.98.

-Mikhail

On Mon, Jan 9, 2017 at 10:28 AM, Sean Busbey <bu...@apache.org> wrote:

> Thanks for all the hard work around 0.98 Andrew!
>
> I'm +1 on retiring 0.98, but I think we should solicit feedback from
> user@hbase before making a decision.
>
> On Fri, Jan 6, 2017 at 6:51 PM, Andrew Purtell <ap...@apache.org>
> wrote:
> > HBasers,
> >
> > Happy new year!
> >
> > The 0.98 branch has had a great run at a fairly constant release cadence,
> > producing 24 releases in all.
> >
> > I served as the branch RM for 98 for all of that time, and now I feel the
> > time has come to move on to work with more recent code. Therefore please
> > consider this my resignation as such (it's an informal position after all
> > (smile)) from the role of branch 98 RM.
> >
> > It will be up to the PMC to decide what to do about 98 going forward. My
> > recommendation is to put out the message that 98 branch has been end of
> > lifed (EOL). There is no reason someone else couldn't don the RM hat and
> > put out an additional 98 release, for example, in order to deal with a
> > critical fix for something we just can't abide shipping as the last
> release
> > of anything. That person might even be me. However, without a dedicated
> > shepard the management of the 98 branch is pretty difficult these days.
> It
> > requires Java 6 to build, which requires a hack to its security classes
> > communicate with modern SSL servers like repository.apache.org, and
> > mandates Hadoop 1 compatibility, which can lead to tricky problems found
> > only at release time. Backports are rarely clean. Assume 30 minutes to 2
> > hours work for each attempt at a backport, including time for tests to
> > complete. Maintaining and releasing 98 branch will be a time commitment.
> > FWIW. All that said if someone else would like to step up into the 98 RM
> > role, then we don't need to consider calling it EOL. However, as I've
> said,
> > that is my humble recommendation to the PMC.
> >

> > --
> > Best regards,
> >
> >    - Andy
> >
> > If you are given a choice, you believe you have acted freely. - Raymond
> > Teller (via Peter Watts)

Michael Antonov

Re: Resignation as RM for branch 0.98

Posted by Sean Busbey <bu...@apache.org>.