Posted to java-user@axis.apache.org by Amila Suriarachchi <am...@gmail.com> on 2007/08/01 07:35:20 UTC

Re: Axis2 article with databinding comparison

hi dennis,

thanks for your reply. As  I learned from the this discussion this is what I
can summarize about Axis2 data binding.

Basically we have three approaches in Axis2 for Data binding.

1. Contract first.
   Here the objective is to generate the code only using wsdl (i.e. giving
some parameters to wsdl2java tool) without using any existing classes.
  Alternatives.
  Use WSDL2java with
 i. ADB databinding.
      Fast and lightweight
      Have better MTOM support
      About 90% of schema coverage.
 ii. XMLBeans databinding
      100% schema coverage.
 iii. Jaxbri databinding
     100% schema coverage.
     use standard Java API
iv. jibx data binding with Xml Schema Codegen.
    Has less schema coverage compare to other frame works. (But  expected to
grow in feature Axis2      releases).  As a result of this, currently for a
person chose this way first three alternatives provide better support.

2. Code first approach.
   Here the objective is to deploy the existing POJOs as a web service. So
used framework should generate the WSDL.
 Alternatives.
 i. java2WSDL
 ii. jibx2WSDL

  I have no sufficient knowledge about these two to give a comparison. But
deepal and dennis may provide.

3. Contract and code first then map
  Here the User starts with both WSDL and java classes. And main objective
is to map the WSDL schema elements to existing java beans.

  Only wsdl2java tool with jibx data binding supports this option.

Dennis would you agree with me about this summary?

So When talking about your article It would be nice if you give this picture
as it is to the user. But it try to compare ADB, Xmlbeans and jibx with out
clearly defining the context. (i.e the user approach code first, contract
first or both and them map).

thanks
Amila.

On 7/31/07, Dennis Sosnoski <dm...@sosnoski.com> wrote:

> [...]
> >     >> and sandesha modules and other features than Axis2 1.2.
> >     >> So using Axis2 1.3 would give a better user impression regarding
> >     >> Axis2 than Axis2 1.2 which is good for Axis2.
> >     >
> >     > I agree completely, and I've already revised my sample code to
> work
> >     > with 1.3. I did have bad experiences trying to use 1.2 for
> training
> >     > purposes, since (1) many of the features I used in my samples were
> >     > broken, as discussed in the article, and (2) the lack of Rampart
> >     > support for weeks following the 1.2 release meant no WS-Security
> >     > handling could be demonstrated. I ended up using 1.1.1 for
> >     classes in
> >     > April and May because of these issues. Fortunately, 1.3 looks like
> >     > it'll be much more solid than 1.2 - it's done well with everything
> >     > I've tried so far, though I haven't tested WS-Security handling
> with
> >     > the current Rampart builds yet.
> >     >
> >     >  - Dennis
> >     >
> >     >>
> >     >> thanks,
> >     >> Amila.
> >     >>
> >     >> [1]
> >     >>

> http://131.107.72.15/SoapWsdl%5FBaseDataTypes%5FXmlFormatter%5FService%5FIndigo/
> >     >>
> >     >> [2]
> >     >>

> http://131.107.72.15/SoapWsdl%5FComplexDataTypes%5FXmlFormatter%5FService%5FIndigo/
> >     >> <
> >
> http://131.107.72.15/SoapWsdl%5FComplexDataTypes%5FXmlFormatter%5FService%5FIndigo/
> >
> >     >>
> >     >> [3] http://wso2.org/library/2068
> >     >>
> >     >>
> >     >>     While I'm promoting my own stuff, I'll also mention that I'm
> >     >>     planning a
> >     >>     trip to Australia in early September for on-site consulting
> and
> >     >>     training
> >     >>     visits (see the Axis2 training course outline:
> >     >>     http://www.sosnoski.com/companys/axis2class.html), and will
> >     >> follow-up
> >     >>     with another trip to the U.S. later in the (northern
> >     hemisphere)
> >     >> fall.
> >     >>     Visits to other parts of the world can also be arranged...
> >     email me
> >     >>     directly if interested.
> >     >>
> >     >>       - Dennis
> >     >>
> >     >>     --
> >     >>     Dennis M. Sosnoski
> >     >>     SOA and Web Services in Java
> >     >>     Axis2 Training and Consulting
> >     >>     http://www.sosnoski.com - http://www.sosnoski.co.nz
> >     >>     Seattle, WA +1-425-939-0576 - Wellington, NZ +64-4-298-6117

Amila Suriarachchi,
WSO2 Inc.

Re: Axis2 article with databinding comparison

Posted by Amila Suriarachchi <am...@gmail.com>.
On 8/1/07, Dennis Sosnoski <dm...@sosnoski.com> wrote:

> Hi Amila,
>
> Perhaps you should just write your own article comparing the data
> binding frameworks for use in Axis2. I've already made considerable
> changes to mine after our initial discussions in order to portray ADB in
> the best possible light, based on the as-yet unreleased Axis2 1.3 code.
>
> I've made it very clear in the article that the current JiBX code does
> not do a good job on code generation from schema, starting out the
> section on JiBX with: "/JiBX (which I also developed) is a data-binding
> framework that's mainly focused on working with existing Java classes
> rather than code generation from schema. With JiBX, you first create a
> binding definition to define how Java objects are to be converted to and
> from XML, then compile that binding using a tool that enhances your data
> class files by adding methods (as bytecode) implementing the
> conversions./" and later "/The biggest downside to the JiBX binding
> approach, at least in Web service terms, is probably that JiBX currently
> provides weak support for working from an XML schema definition. Even
> this weak support for working from schema, in the form of the Xsd2Jibx
> tool, isn't integrated into the Axis2 WSDL2Java code generation. This
> means that you need to have your Java data classes and binding
> definition created before you can run WSDL2Java to generate the Axis2
> linkage code./"

Ok now I think we are quite clear what ADB, jibx and other  databinding
framworks (xmlbeans,jaxbri) do and their
pros and crons for each situation.

Amila.

I'm not really sure what else you're looking for, unless it's an

Amila Suriarachchi,
WSO2 Inc.

Re: Axis2 article with databinding comparison

Posted by Dennis Sosnoski <dm...@sosnoski.com>.
Hi Amila,