Posted to dev@thrift.apache.org by Mark Slee <ms...@facebook.com> on 2008/08/19 02:16:17 UTC

Company logos for Thrift site

Hi all, I'm revamping our incubator site and would like to include a
section about the companies which use Thrift. Given that it's open
source and anyone can search the committers list, I don't see any
security/privacy problems with this -- but I did want to run this by
everyone first. Here's the current list that I have:

Facebook
PowerSet
RapLeaf
iMeem
AmieStreet
reCaptcha

Please let me know if you and/or your company's legal folks would like
anything added or removed from this, or if you have a particular logo
that you prefer to have used (otherwise I will use whatever is made
available on the website's press pages).

Re: Company logos for Thrift site

Posted by Erik Frey <er...@last.fm>.
Similar situation with last.fm - we're big users of thrift for internal
services.

http://www.last.fm/resources

Erik

Posted by Carl Byström <ca...@esportnetwork.com>.

Posted by Mark Slee <ms...@facebook.com>.
Hmm, ok, these pages do seem like a good precedent for what we want to
do. I'll plan on using this style, and your point about not mentioning
committer affiliation is duly noted.

I've also pinged the PRC, will see if they have any other feedback on
this.

Posted by Shalin Shekhar Mangar <sh...@apache.org>.
The way a lot of other projects do this is through a "Powered By" wiki
page. IMHO, committers should not be shown to have affliations to
corporates.

http://wiki.apache.org/hadoop/PoweredBy
http://wiki.apache.org/lucene-java/PoweredBy
http://wiki.apache.org/solr/PublicServers

On Wed, Aug 20, 2008 at 12:02 AM, Mark Slee <ms...@facebook.com> wrote:
> There will be a pretty vast distribution difference between the main
> Apache site vs. a sub-page of the Thrift incubator project that I think
> mitigates this risk. I don't think any company willing to pay for
> placement on the main site would be satisfied with placement on the
> Thrift page.
>
> Also, in this case, the intention is to go the other direction -- not to
> give publicity to 3rd party brands via association with Apache, but
> rather to help endorse the credibility of Thrift via these companies'
> use of the code. The aim is really to help further the goals of the
> Apache Thrift project, not to advertise for companies, and I'm pretty
> confident the design will be interpreted as such.
>
> As you suggest, I'll ping the PRC about this and see what they say.
>
> Cheers,
> Mark

Shalin Shekhar Mangar.

Re: Company logos for Thrift site

Posted by Pete Wyckoff <pw...@facebook.com>.
Other apache projects have powered by pages that sometimes contain logos.
E.g.,

http://wiki.apache.org/tomcat/PoweredBy

Posted by Upayavira <uv...@odoko.co.uk>.