Posted to dev@spark.apache.org by Reynold Xin <rx...@databricks.com> on 2016/11/17 07:20:25 UTC

issues with github pull request notification emails missing

I've noticed that a lot of github pull request notifications no longer come
to my inbox. In the past I'd get an email for every reply to a pull request
that I subscribed to (i.e. commented on). Lately I noticed for a lot of
them I didn't get any emails, but if I opened the pull requests directly on
github, I'd see the new replies. I've looked at spam folder and none of the
missing notifications are there. So it's either github not sending the
notifications, or the emails are lost in transit.

The way it manifests is that I often comment on a pull request, and then I
don't know whether the contributor (author) has updated it or not. From the
contributor's point of view, it looks like I've been ignoring the pull
request.

I think this started happening when github switched over to the new code
review mode (
https://github.com/blog/2256-a-whole-new-github-universe-announcing-new-tools-forums-and-features
)

Did anybody else notice this issue?

Re: issues with github pull request notification emails missing

Posted by Sean Owen <so...@cloudera.com>.
I have seen the same issue from time to time where I couldn't see a
person's alias in the popup. Happened yesterday for me with @joshrosen. No
idea why.

I was also missing emails for a while to spam, but it seemed like a Gmail
problem. It said I had marked messages from about 6 different people as
spam, which doesn't seem like something i could have done with a mis-click.
So, worth looking out for if you're missing emails and using gmail.

Also, I noted that if you just add an "Approve" in the new review system
that does not generate an email. Which is maybe a good thing.

I do still see a big problem with Gmail and these messages not being
threaded. One PR's messages will typically split somewhat arbitrarily over
5-6 threads, which makes managing discussions really quite annoying. I
don't know if it's somehow related.

On Thu, Nov 17, 2016 at 10:10 PM Xiao Li <ga...@gmail.com> wrote:

Just FYI, normally, when we ping a people, the github can show the full
name after we type the github id. Below is an example:

[image: Screenshot 2016-11-17 14.05.55.png]

Starting from last week, Reynold's full name is not shown. Does github
update their hash functions?

[image: Screenshot 2016-11-17 14.05.38.png]

Thanks,

Xiao Li

+1 it seems like I'm missing a number of my GitHub email notifications
lately (although since I run my own mail server and forward I've been
assuming it's my own fault).

I've also had issues with having greatly delayed notifications on some of
my own pull requests but that might be unrelated.

Posted by Xiao Li <ga...@gmail.com>.
Just FYI, normally, when we ping a people, the github can show the full
name after we type the github id. Below is an example:

[image: 内嵌图片 2]

Starting from last week, Reynold's full name is not shown. Does github
update their hash functions?

[image: 内嵌图片 1]

Posted by Holden Karau <ho...@pigscanfly.ca>.