Posted to fop-dev@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Vincent Hennebert <vh...@gmail.com> on 2012/11/02 21:58:29 UTC

Re: properly tag hyphenated words [was: svn commit: r1405158 - in /xmlgraphics/fop/trunk: ./ src/documentation/intermediate-format-ng/ src/java/org/apache/fop/area/inline/ src/java/org/apache/fop/layoutmgr/inline/ src/java/org/apache/fop/render/intermediate/ src/java/org/apache/fop/render/pd...]

(Some notes relating to this work that I thought would be more easily
retrievable if I put them here rather than in the Bugzilla entry.)

I had to forgo the soft hyphen approach due to a hack in XGC that
replaces soft hyphens with normal hyphens when no glyph is available in
the font for soft hyphen. So the o.a.f.fonts.Font.hasChar method will
return true for soft hyphen while it should actually return false.

Removing that hack will not work without making further changes to the
layout engine, which in some cases tries to render the soft hyphen like
any normal character, instead of treating it merely as a hyphenation
hint.

However, this is getting beyond the scope of this work. This will have
to be re-visited at another time.

Vincent