Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Karl Heinz Marbaise <kh...@gmx.de> on 2019/10/29 20:11:33 UTC

[VOTE] JDK 8 Minimum Requirement for Maven 3.7.0

Hi to all,

based on the discusion this is the formal VOTE to lift the minimum of
Maven Core with version 3.7.0 to JDK 8 minimum.

Vote open for at least 72 hours.

[ ] +1
[ ] +0
[ ] -1

Kind regards
Karl Heinz Marbaise

Re: [VOTE] JDK 8 Minimum Requirement for Maven 3.7.0

Posted by Tamás Cservenák <ta...@cservenak.net>.
+1

Posted by Michael Osipov <mi...@apache.org>.
Am 2019-10-29 um 21:11 schrieb Karl Heinz Marbaise:
> Hi to all,
>
> based on the discusion this is the formal VOTE to lift the minimum of
> Maven Core with version 3.7.0 to JDK 8 minimum.
>
> Vote open for at least 72 hours.
>
> [ ] +1
> [ ] +0
> [ ] -1

We have a bus load of issues for 3.7.0 in JIRA. I'd rather move this to
3.8.0 we can ultimately land after 3.8.0.

So from my POV, -1

Michael

Re: [VOTE] JDK 8 Minimum Requirement for Maven 3.7.0

Posted by Francois Papon <fr...@openobject.fr>.
+1 (non-binding)

regards,

François
fpapon@apache.org

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.
non-binding +1

Gary

Posted by Stephane Nicoll <st...@gmail.com>.
+1

Posted by Arnaud Héritier <ah...@gmail.com>.
+1

On Wed, Oct 30, 2019 at 6:10 PM Gabriel Belingueres <be...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> +1
>
> Kind regards
> Gabriel
>
> El mar., 29 de octubre de 2019 17:11, Karl Heinz Marbaise <
> khmarbaise@gmx.de>
> escribió:
>
> > Hi to all,
> >
> > based on the discusion this is the formal VOTE to lift the minimum of
> > Maven Core with version 3.7.0 to JDK 8 minimum.
> >
> > Vote open for at least 72 hours.
> >
> > [ ] +1
> > [ ] +0
> > [ ] -1
> >

> > Kind regards
> > Karl Heinz Marbaise

-----
Arnaud Héritier
http://aheritier.net
Mail/GTalk: aheritier AT gmail DOT com
Twitter/Skype : aheritier

Re: [VOTE] JDK 8 Minimum Requirement for Maven 3.7.0

Posted by Gabriel Belingueres <be...@gmail.com>.
+1

Kind regards
Gabriel

Posted by Jesper Udby <je...@udby.com>.
+1

😃 Jesper Udby

⁣Hent BlueMail til Android ​

Posted by Manfred Moser <ma...@simpligility.com>.
+1

Posted by Stephen Connolly <st...@gmail.com>.
+1

On Tue 29 Oct 2019 at 20:11, Karl Heinz Marbaise <kh...@gmx.de> wrote:

> Hi to all,
>
> based on the discusion this is the formal VOTE to lift the minimum of
> Maven Core with version 3.7.0 to JDK 8 minimum.
>
> Vote open for at least 72 hours.
>
> [ ] +1
> [ ] +0
> [ ] -1
>

> Kind regards
> Karl Heinz Marbaise

Sent from my phone

Re: [VOTE] JDK 8 Minimum Requirement for Maven 3.7.0

Posted by Hervé BOUTEMY <he...@free.fr>.
+1

Regards,

Hervé

Posted by Romain Manni-Bucau <rm...@gmail.com>.
Le mar. 29 oct. 2019 à 22:24, Tibor Digana <ti...@apache.org> a
écrit :

> Karl, I am not happy with this short text because you did not say that we
> will turn the code to J8.
> There is a plugin automating this transformation.
> One man can do it in his private and that's it.
> Of course somebody has to execute performance tests.
>
> Without changing the code we would not be eligible for young Java
> contributors.
> The users can use JDK8-14 since we are not a blocker to use any JDK today
> but the topic should be about the code.

This is not fully true.
Typically today i took a j7 codebase and updated part of its API to j8 in
the area i was patching. This was great for my contribution and didnt need
to rewrite all the code.
New dev are not worse than us caude they know what are lambas, they will
understand loops and util classes so we dont need to worry about that, just
enabling them is already a huge step and not automating it but letting them
do is an opportunity for contributions.

Posted by Karl Heinz Marbaise <kh...@gmx.de>.
Hi Tibor,

can we the keep discussion out of this thread cause it's a VOTE thread...

Posted by Tibor Digana <ti...@apache.org>.

Posted by Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org>.
+1!!!

Dan

> On Oct 29, 2019, at 4:11 PM, Karl Heinz Marbaise <kh...@gmx.de> wrote:
>
> Hi to all,
>
> based on the discusion this is the formal VOTE to lift the minimum of
> Maven Core with version 3.7.0 to JDK 8 minimum.
>
> Vote open for at least 72 hours.
>
> [ ] +1
> [ ] +0
> [ ] -1
>

> Kind regards
> Karl Heinz Marbaise

Daniel Kulp
dkulp@apache.org <ma...@apache.org> - http://dankulp.com/blog <http://dankulp.com/blog>
Talend Community Coder - http://talend.com <http://coders.talend.com/>

Re: [VOTE] JDK 8 Minimum Requirement for Maven 3.7.0

Posted by Tibor Digana <ti...@apache.org>.
0: from me.
The reason is that we did not reach the consensus that we would also have
the benefits when the sources in Maven Core would be converted to J8
including performed some performance tests.

Posted by Olivier Lamy <ol...@apache.org>.
+1

On Wed, 30 Oct 2019 at 6:11 am, Karl Heinz Marbaise <kh...@gmx.de>
wrote:

> Hi to all,
>
> based on the discusion this is the formal VOTE to lift the minimum of
> Maven Core with version 3.7.0 to JDK 8 minimum.
>
> Vote open for at least 72 hours.
>
> [ ] +1
> [ ] +0
> [ ] -1
>

> Kind regards
> Karl Heinz Marbaise

Olivier Lamy

Re: [VOTE] JDK 8 Minimum Requirement for Maven 3.7.0

Posted by Anders Hammar <an...@hammar.net>.
+1

/Anders (mobile)

Posted by Enrico Olivelli <eo...@gmail.com>.
+1

Enrico

Posted by Romain Manni-Bucau <rm...@gmail.com>.
+1 (non binding)

Posted by Karl Heinz Marbaise <kh...@gmx.de>.
Hi,

Posted by Mickael Istria <mi...@redhat.com>.
+1 from m2e and Tycho POV. Both have already require Java 8 for several
versions anyways, so the target audience is definitely already away from
Java 7.

[RESULT] [VOTE] JDK 8 Minimum Requirement for Maven 3.7.0

Posted by Karl Heinz Marbaise <kh...@gmx.de>.
Hi,

The vote has passed with the following result:

+1 : Romain Manni-Bucau, Enrico Olivelli, Gary Gregory, Francois Papon,
Olivier Lamy, Mickael Istria, Tamás Cservenák, Hervé BOUTEMY, Stephen
Connolly, Manfred Moser, Anders Hammar, Gabriel Belingueres, Arnaud
Héritier, Daniel Kulp, Stephane Nicoll, Karl Heinz Marbaise

0: Tibor Digana
-1 : Michael Osipov

PMC quorum: reached

Kind regards