Posted to legal-discuss@apache.org by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@pobox.com> on 2009/06/30 11:37:45 UTC

Re: apache license 2.0: having trouble getting our university licensing office to like it, your thoughts?

Why is there not a problem in the UK?  Just curious.

geir

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@apache.org>.
2009/6/30 Justin Erenkrantz <ju...@erenkrantz.com>:
> On Tue, Jun 30, 2009 at 3:10 AM, Ross Gardler<rg...@apache.org> wrote:
>> 2) US publicly funded work has specific constraints on the way outputs
>> are made available for public use, the UK does not have the same
>> restrictions.
>
> Two general comments:
>
>  - Depending upon the grant, certain funding agencies place different
> restrictions on what can be released and how it can be released.
>
>  - Academic work product is treated differently from staff work
> product.  So, for example, folks that Ross would talk primarily to as
> part of OSS Watch in UK would be covered under different rules than
> say a faculty member on the academic side of things.

Just in case it is important to anyone, we deal with research staff as
well as IT staff. In the UK universities are funded in such a way that
all software production is, effectively, publicly funded (it gets
complicated with commercial sponsored research, but that's an edge
case).

However, as I mentioned earlier the patent clause does not cause a
problem for us here in the UK. So it's probably not relevant.

Ross

Re: apache license 2.0: having trouble getting our university licensing office to like it, your thoughts?

Posted by Justin Erenkrantz <ju...@erenkrantz.com>.
On Tue, Jun 30, 2009 at 3:10 AM, Ross Gardler<rg...@apache.org> wrote:
> 2) US publicly funded work has specific constraints on the way outputs
> are made available for public use, the UK does not have the same
> restrictions.

Two general comments:

 - Depending upon the grant, certain funding agencies place different
restrictions on what can be released and how it can be released.

 - Academic work product is treated differently from staff work
product.  So, for example, folks that Ross would talk primarily to as
part of OSS Watch in UK would be covered under different rules than
say a faculty member on the academic side of things.

I've started an off-list discussion with John to see what I can do to
help as I know a fair bit about UCOP policies as well.  If there's
something we can do, I'll bring it back here for discussions...but
it's usually getting the right person within the UC system involved...
 -- justin

Re: apache license 2.0: having trouble getting our university licensing office to like it, your thoughts?

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@apache.org>.
2009/6/30 Geir Magnusson Jr. <ge...@pobox.com>:
> Why is there not a problem in the UK?  Just curious.

As I understand it (which may be seriously flawed and not too
detailed) there are two issues at play:

1) technically the UK does not have patents in software (although in
reality they do exist)