Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by Clément OUDOT <cl...@gmail.com> on 2019/08/19 12:43:17 UTC

Re: Syntax errors in case of threaded MPM and lots of concurrent requests.

Le mer. 31 juil. 2019 à 19:33, Thorsten Schöning
<ts...@am-soft.de> a écrit :

> Hi all,
>
> I'm struggling for 2+ years[1][2] with a problem using mod_perl on
> Linux which I was finally able to reproduce on Windows as well.

Hello Thorsten,

we face the same issues with mod_perl in LemonLDAP::NG
(https://lemonldap-ng.org/)

We recommend to use mod_perl only with MPM prefork on Apache 2.4.

Clément.

Re: Syntax errors in case of threaded MPM and lots of concurrent requests.

Posted by Thorsten Schöning <ts...@am-soft.de>.
Guten Tag John Dunlap,
am Montag, 19. August 2019 um 17:11 schrieben Sie:

> I'm surprised that you're able to use the threaded MPM at all.

As you already said, things seem to heavily depend on the used
packages. Besides the problem introduced at some point I have written
about in this thread, threaded MPM was running mostly successfully for
years. So most of my used packages simply seem to be compatible. I'm
not even sure how the threaded MPM has been introduced, I'm somwhat
sure it was during installing mod_perl using APT at some point.

Additionally, during implementing my workaround I found that it seems
to make a difference when things get loaded as well. For example I'm
segfaulted in this scenario, while it didn't in the former setup when
letting mod_perl compile automatically per request as needed. Luckily
I was able to get rid of that package, because it was required only,
not even used at all, by some UUID-generator I didn't need to use
anymore as well.

But for now my app seems to work in threaded MPM again, which would be
a win in supporting Windows. Will see how far I get with it and
hopefully keep switching to prefork in mind. I really didn't think of
that thread-support is that bad in 3rd party Perl packages, despite
the official "deprecated" warning for threads.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen,

Thorsten Schöning

Telefon...........05151-  9468- 55
Fax...............05151-  9468- 88
Mobil..............0178-8 9468- 04

Re: Syntax errors in case of threaded MPM and lots of concurrent requests.

Posted by John Dunlap <Jo...@lariat.co>.
I'm surprised that you're able to use the threaded MPM at all. The only MPM
we're able to make work with our application is prefork. As far as I'm
aware, Perl itself and its core libraries are thread safe but because Perl
spent the last 3 decades without official threading support, most of the
modules on CPAN are not thread safe. Consequently, our application
frequently segfaults when we try to use an MPM other than prefork.

--
John Dunlap
*CTO | Lariat *

*Direct:*