Posted to fop-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Patrick JUSSEAU <pa...@openbase.com> on 2003/11/17 17:46:36 UTC

fo:leader issues...

Hi all,

I have been struggling for quite some time now with a leader issue.
What I want to be able to do is:

line1...................someText
line2..............someOtherText

In other word I want the right side of my text to be aligned. The
fo:leader should expand as much as it can to fill the middle part. I
also want the parent block to have a 10cm width.

I have looked on many threads without any luck. Has anyone faced that
situation before?

Thanks for any help...

Patrick

Re: leader issues...

Posted by "J.Pietschmann" <j3...@yahoo.de>.
Clay Leeds wrote:
> I was unaware of the "waste of resources" issue. This might be useful
> information to add somewhere (Run Page? FAQ?), when users are trying to
> improve the performance of FOP.
I'm not sure the waste is significant enough to hamper performance.
It's just yet another object in the FO tree. If you use *lots* of
inline, and memory is already tight (as I heve seen in case of big
tables), well, then ....

If FOP were properly implemented, i.e. if fo:inline would generate
an area as it should (several bugs in bugzilla for this), then
ressource waste would be more severe. However, currently fo:inline
is exactly the same as fo:wrapper.
(BTW this means get used to fo:wrapper for changing font size and
doing text decorations, because fo:inline generates area objects in
HEAD).

> I use fo:inline frequently in my XSL-FO templates to place a smaller
> "space" between label text inherited font-size="10pt":
>
> <fo:block font-size="10pt">
>   First<fo:inline font-size="4pt">&#160;</fo:inline>Name
> </fo:block>
>
> Would it be more efficient (or more "proper") to use fo:leader instead?

More efficient? No, leaders create even an object more and
take more processing power.
More proper? It depends. The width of a non-breaking space
is not necessarily the font size, therefore you might have
to experiment in order to get the space width you want. A
leader will generate the correct space without such fiddling.
OTOH, you can't underline a leader, so ther's still a use case.

J.Pietschmann

RE: leader issues...

Posted by "Andreas L. Delmelle" <a_...@pandora.be>.

Was something odd with the SVGRenderer. George Yi posted it last
Wednesday... Now that I browse back through it: ah, he believed it to be
caused by Batik's PrettyPrinter. (When using &apos; in the middle of a word,
a linefeed character was inserted when rendering to SVG.)

Now it's making sense: if using fo:inline doesn't preserve surrounding
whitespace correctly, this could explain why the linefeed character didn't
show up... (--so far for that being a workaround )

Greetz,

Andreas

Re: leader issues...

Posted by "J.Pietschmann" <j3...@yahoo.de>.
Andreas L. Delmelle wrote:
> Just referring to some cases where the &-code represents a special symbol.

Uh, oh. Are you sure you read the XML spec recently? I *think*
its time for a refresher...

RE: leader issues...

Posted by "Andreas L. Delmelle" <a_...@pandora.be>.

It's getting late over here ;o

Cheerz,

Andreas

Re: leader issues...

Posted by Clay Leeds <cl...@medata.com>.
Thanks for the quick post Andreas,

On Monday, November 17, 2003, at 02:06  PM, Andreas L. Delmelle wrote:
> [...]

I'm glad you think it's proper. While that is important to me, I also
wonder whether or not it would be more efficient than my current system
of including fo:inline. I guess I could just run some tests. ;-p Thanks
again for the feedback!

Web Maestro Clay

RE: leader issues...

Posted by "Andreas L. Delmelle" <a_...@pandora.be>.

Re: leader issues...

Posted by Clay Leeds <cl...@medata.com>.

Re: leader issues...

Posted by "J.Pietschmann" <j3...@yahoo.de>.
Andreas L. Delmelle wrote:
> Anyway, the spec doesn't seem to provide for a way to indicate that the text
> in this case needs to be centered across a line (--or am I missing something
> again?)

Indeed. There is some "common knowledge" that excess space in justified
text should be distributed evenly over resizable spaces.

> How 'easy' would it be to change the default expansion for leaders in the
> case:
> Why _exactly_ does it use a default width here?

Because its easy. And: conformant :-)

> Is it possible to test at
> that point whether in the current line an fo:leader has already been added?

Well, I could have tried to distribute excess space evenly. However, how
should the space be distributed in case a leader would exceed its maximun
length? Should it be maxed out and then desitribution of the residue space
continued with the rest of the eladers? Certainly an idea, but it requires
more extended housekeeping than I was willing to implement. You'll have
to keep an eye on leader alingment at the same time, which complicates
the whole stuff (that's why leader alignment will go out of the window
if there's stull excess space after all leaders have been maxed out and is
distributed over resizable spaces). You may even run into convergence
problems.

> And if so, is it possible to adjust both leaders to expand accordingly?
It depends. In the case presented, certainly. But a general algorithm
able to deal with arbitrary combinations of leader-length MinOpMax and
alingments is by no means easy.

J.Pietschmann

RE: leader issues...

Posted by "Andreas L. Delmelle" <a_...@pandora.be>.

<snip/>

> It should work because the spaces are "marked" and shouldn't be
> stripped.
> The drawback, of course, is that spaces in the text must be converted
> to NBSP in order to avoid stretching them for justification.
> Unfortunately, FOP *does* use NBSP for justification (should be
> easy to fix) Well, space leaders should work.

Anyway, the spec doesn't seem to provide for a way to indicate that the text
in this case needs to be centered across a line (--or am I missing something
again?)

How 'easy' would it be to change the default expansion for leaders in the
case:

surrounding block has text-align and text-align-last both set to "justify"
and the block does not overflow a line

text-leader-text   yields the result that started this thread (the original
one)
leader-text-leader would yield the result asked for in this case

where currently, in the latter case, the leaders are not balanced (which BTW
hardly seems to become a 'wanted' result at some point, and since now this
one has been asked for --*and* is pretty neat :) )

It seems to work like:
first leader alignment is resolved WRT rest of current line area, which is
  the text
  a second leader resolved WRT rest of current line area, which is
    nothing, so aligned to end of current line area

Why _exactly_ does it use a default width here? Is it possible to test at
that point whether in the current line an fo:leader has already been added?
And if so, is it possible to adjust both leaders to expand accordingly?

Any hints?

Greetz,

Andreas

Re: leader issues...

Posted by "J.Pietschmann" <j3...@yahoo.de>.
Andreas L. Delmelle wrote:
>>----------SOME TEXT----------
>
> Hmmm... I don't think so. Guess this needs some improvement, although I do
> have a hard time figuring out how you would describe this in FO.

I'd try underlined whitespace in superscripts:
  <fo:block text-align-last="justify">
    <fo:inline vertical-align="super" font-size="50%"
     text-decoration="underline"> </fo:inline
    >SOME&#160;TEXT<fo:inline vertical-align="super"
    font-size="50%"></fo:block>

It should work because the spaces are "marked" and shouldn't be
stripped.
The drawback, of course, is that spaces in the text must be converted
to NBSP in order to avoid stretching them for justification.
Unfortunately, FOP *does* use NBSP for justification (should be
easy to fix) Well, space leaders should work.
The final bad news: FOP does not underline leading and trailing
spaces. Duhhhh!

J.Pietschmann

RE: leader issues...

Posted by "Andreas L. Delmelle" <a_...@pandora.be>.

Anyone?

Cheerz,

Andreas

Re: leader issues...

Posted by Abhijit Junnare <ma...@yahoo.com>.
Since everyone talking about leader thought I woudl
also ask something.
I am wondering if the following result is achievable

----------SOME TEXT----------
-----SOME MORE TEXT SOME-----

-- is my leader pattern which can be a regular rule as
well.
Thanks,
Abhi

Re: leader issues...

Posted by "J.Pietschmann" <j3...@yahoo.de>.
Andreas L. Delmelle wrote:
> Hmmm... maybe that was one of them (?) :)

No. The most problematic bug is dropped text at the end of
a page. I think it may also cause problems with hyphenation,
odd line wraps and perhaps problems with forced line breaks.

J.Pietschmann

RE: leader issues...

Posted by "Andreas L. Delmelle" <a_...@pandora.be>.

Yes... No, not exactly

> BTW enclosing text in fo:inline is just a waste of ressources, it doesn't
> change much with regard how the text is handled (except exposing a bunch
> of nasty bugs). In particular, it wont cause different handling of the
     ^^^^^^^^^
Hmmm... maybe that was one of them (?) :)

Cheers,

Andreas

Re: leader issues...

Posted by "J.Pietschmann" <j3...@yahoo.de>.

RE: leader issues...

Posted by "Andreas L. Delmelle" <a_...@pandora.be>.

I was thinking of maybe doing the following:

<fo:table table-layout="fixed">
  <fo:table-column column-width="50mm" />
  <fo:table-column column-width="50mm" />
    <fo:table-body>
      <fo:table-row>
        <fo:table-cell>
          <fo:block text-align="justify" text-align-last="justify">
            <fo:inline>line1</fo:inline>
            <fo:leader leader-pattern="dots" leader-pattern-width="3pt"
                leader-alignment="reference-area" />
          </fo:block>
        </fo:table-cell>
        <fo:table-cell>
          <fo:block text-align="start" text-align-last="justify">
            <fo:leader leader-pattern="dots" leader-pattern-width="3pt"
                 leader-alignment="reference-area" />
            <fo:inline>endline1</fo:inline>
          </fo:block>
        </fo:table-cell>
      </fo:table-row>
    </fo:table-body>
</fo:table>

so I just did, and it works :)
(you have to tweak a bit in between the columns; you will notice on 600%
zoom)

Cheerz,

Andreas

Re: leader issues...