Posted to dev@hbase.apache.org by Sean Busbey <bu...@apache.org> on 2017/03/28 20:19:41 UTC

[DISCUSS] What are we going to call the releases leading up to HBase 2.0?

Hi folks!

What are folks opinions on how we name releases leading up to HBase
2.0 that aren't quite done yet?

For 1.0, we used 0.99 as a placeholder for "what we expect will be in
1.0 but is not yet ready for production use." That got us 0.99.0,
0.99.1, and 0.99.2 before we declared 1.0.0 ready for use. For 2.0,
continuing this pattern would be done with 1.99, I suppose.

This issue I take with this approach is that back before 1.0, we could
count on users thinking of 0.99 as a different major release train
than 0.98. Now, I'm concerned that some might lump 1.99 in with the
1.y major release series.

Alternatively we could expressly label the releases as alpha/beta
based on our confidence. This would give us 2.0.0-alpha1,
2.0.0-alpha2, etc, 2.0.0-beta1, etc. This has the disadvantage of
futzing with sort order, but clearly conveys that these releases are
both part of what will be the 2.y major release series and not for the
faint of heart.

Thoughts?

Re: [DISCUSS] What are we going to call the releases leading up to HBase 2.0?

Posted by Josh Elser <el...@apache.org>.
I'm partial to 2.0.0-alpha[x]/beta[x]

* Conveys that it's 2.x (not 1.x)
* Conveys "instability"
* Doesn't buck Maven's view of the world (Maven is happy with a version
string of 2.0.0-alpha)
* Still enables a "2.0.0" later

Posted by Jerry He <je...@gmail.com>.
+1 on 2.0.0-alpha/beta. I think each of the alpha or beta will go through
RCs as well.

Thanks.

Jerry

Posted by Phil Yang <ud...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Yu Li <ca...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "张铎 (Duo Zhang)" <pa...@gmail.com>.
+1 on 2.0.0-alpha[x]/2.0.0-beta[x].

Posted by Andrew Purtell <an...@gmail.com>.
That settles it. :-)

Posted by Ted Yu <yu...@gmail.com>.
2.0.0-alpha / 2.0.0-beta sound good to me.

Posted by Enis Söztutar <en...@apache.org>.
I would automatically -1 any release with a number like 1.99 regardless of
content.

Semantic versioning which we are following already provides an answer for
this:
http://semver.org/#spec-item-9

From my experience as RM for 0.99.x series and 1.0.x series, I would