Posted to dev@pekko.apache.org by PJ Fanning <fa...@apache.org> on 2023/02/13 14:25:42 UTC

[DISCUSS] pekko-http - use parboiled2 as dependency jar instead of copying code into our source repo

Hi everyone,

There is an open issue [1] and some discussion on it. I want to make sure that everyone is aware of the discussion.

To summarise:
* generally, we want to take the Lightbend Akka code and have Pekko v1.0.0 be a rebranded version of the Akka code when last Apache licensed Akka commit was made
* the ASF have requirements for us to properly document the license and copyrights of all our code
* in some cases, it might be worthwhile to take code that does not originate from Lightbend Akka and to remove it
* having a dependency on 3rd party jar, as long as it has a compatible license requires us to do less work to correct the licenses, notices and source file headers
* the general feeling is that this is a low risk change

I would be interested in getting other people's opinion on this. Comment on the Github issue or on the email thread.

Regards,
PJ

[1] https://github.com/apache/incubator-pekko-http/issues/1