Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by ge...@printsoft.com on 2006/06/19 11:35:27 UTC

More on possible client authentication

Hi all (again)

This is addition to an earlier email regarding what appears to be long
authentication times for SVN clients.

I built another debian sarge system at home, and have absolutely not issues with
it.  Is there a possibility that by running Subversion on a User Mode Linux
system could cause connection issues with clients?

Is there a detailed list of supporting services and runtime libraries that, if
missing, could caase delays in authentication users between the subversion
client and server?

Thanks one again - I hope to hear/read from somebody soon

Regards,
Gerhard

Re: More on possible client authentication

Posted by ge...@printsoft.com.
Quoting Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>:

> On Jun 20, 2006, at 01:40, Gerhard Hannemann wrote:
>
> >> One possibility would be that it's taking a long time to generate
> >> random bytes.  If you machine doesn't have a suitable source of
> >> entrypy, /dev/random could be quite slow.  You might try recompiling
> >> APR and telling it to use /dev/urandom (via the --with-devrandom flag
> >> to configure).
> >
> > I thought APR is only relevant when using apache and access
> > repositories
> > using http.
> > Currently I only access the repository using svn and file.
> > It APR or random number generator device still relevant in this case?
>
> Yes, the advice is still relevant. The Apache Portable Runtime (APR)
> is not related to the Apache web server, other than that they're both
> made by the same group, and that the Apache web server uses APR.
> Subversion also uses APR, always, regardless of what repository
> access method is being employed. As I understand it, APR gives you a
> common interface to things which typically vary between operating
> systems, and since Subversion is supposed to run on many operating
> systems, they decided to use APR rather than reinvent several wheels.

Thanks for the information.
I will rebuild APR with the sugested settings and let the list know if this
improves things.

Posted by Gerhard Hannemann <ge...@printsoft.com>.
Hi all,

Success!
The subversion server has behaved well so far.
It appears some extra little steps are required when running Subversion on
User Mode Linux.

Regards,
Gerhard

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.

Posted by Gerhard Hannemann <ge...@printsoft.com>.
Thanks for your reply.

I thought APR is only relevant when using apache and access repositories
using http.
Currently I only access the repository using svn and file.
It APR or random number generator device still relevant in this case?
I vaguely remember seeing some messages about the random number generator
when the UML starts up.

Thanks once again for your help

Regards,
Gerhard Hannemann

> This is addition to an earlier email regarding what appears to be long
> authentication times for SVN clients.
>
> I built another debian sarge system at home, and have absolutely not
issues with
> it.  Is there a possibility that by running Subversion on a User Mode
Linux
> system could cause connection issues with clients?
>
> Is there a detailed list of supporting services and runtime libraries
that, if
> missing, could caase delays in authentication users between the subversion
> client and server?
>
> Thanks one again - I hope to hear/read from somebody soon

One possibility would be that it's taking a long time to generate
random bytes.  If you machine doesn't have a suitable source of
entrypy, /dev/random could be quite slow.  You might try recompiling
APR and telling it to use /dev/urandom (via the --with-devrandom flag
to configure).

-garrett

Re: More on possible client authentication

Posted by Garrett Rooney <ro...@electricjellyfish.net>.