Posted to dev@groovy.apache.org by Cédric Champeau <cc...@apache.org> on 2015/05/19 21:36:52 UTC

In shape for a 2.4.4 release?

 Hi guys,

I wanted to check with you what is preventing us from releasing 2.4.4.
Apart from the usual bugfixes, I think the necessary work on the source
code itself to match the Apache guidance has been done (in particular
licenses checks).

>From my perspective it should be possible to release using the "old
process" with subtle differences:

- a release manager chosen from the IPMC will initiate the release
- release will be done from the CI server
- binaries/sources/distributions will be signed automatically, as usual,
through Bintray
- Maven artifacts will be published automatically on Artifactory (OJO)

So far, nothing differs from the usual process but:

- Maven Central synchronization *will* be disabled, instead of done
automatically until now, so that we can cancel the release if it is
downvoted
- Sources/distributions need to be copied manually from Bintray to [1] by
the release manager (attn mentors: how?)
- since we do not generate MD5 files through Gradle yet (it's not a
technical problem), the release manager should generate the checksums for
sources/distributions/binaries and upload them to [1] too. An open question
is whether those signatures should be generated in Bintray, in which case
we need support from them, or from our side, in which case we have to
update the build to generate them and make them artifacts.
- release manager announces on dev@ and voting starts
- if vote is positive, release manager asks IPMC to vote
- if vote is positive, release manager triggers Maven Central
synchronization from Bintray and announces the release on the MLs
- if vote is positive, website needs to be updated too [2]

We have chosen to use a version number *without* -incubating for the
artifacts. Only the sources zip will have -incubating in the file name, as
the incubator policy mandates. The website download logic will have to be
adapted for this special case.

What do you think?

[1] https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/release/incubator/groovy
[2] https://github.com/groovy/groovy-website

Re: In shape for a 2.4.4 release?

Posted by Cédric Champeau <cc...@apache.org>.

> Source artifacts will need to be posted to dist.apache.org - that's the
> canonical location for all Apache releases.

Yup, if it wasn't clear, that was what I meant with "release manager has to
copy to [1]".

> We'll also need to make sure that http://creadur.apache.org/rat/ verifies
> that we don't have license issues, etc - looks like Samza has done some of
> the work for integrating Gradle and Rat already (
> https://github.com/apache/samza/blob/master/gradle/rat.gradle) so we may
> be able to build on that.

I have used a license plugin for Gradle to do it actually. But if someone
wants to run Rat before we start the release, I'd be happy to have the
result.

Re: In shape for a 2.4.4 release?

Posted by Andrew Bayer <an...@gmail.com>.
Source artifacts will need to be posted to dist.apache.org - that's the
canonical location for all Apache releases. We'll also need to make sure

Re: In shape for a 2.4.4 release?

Posted by Paul King <pa...@asert.com.au>.
That sounds about right to me. It might also be nice if one of our mentors
can do a trial run check of the source dist zip for us. You can find snapshot
artifacts similar to what we would produce for the release on the CI server:

http://ci.groovy-lang.org/viewLog.html?buildId=23085&tab=artifacts&buildTypeId=Groovy_Jdk7Build

[build number will vary - you might need to traverse down from a higher
directory - click on "artifacts" on the "JDK 7 Build"]

There are some known things we have, e.g. a binary jar for testing purposes,
that we think are OK, but we need everyone on the same page wrt such things.
And we might need a little time to fix anything that we can't go forward with.

You can use "gradle(w) rat"  to invoke rat with our current exclusions file.
The Rat integration needs some work. It currently uses the command-line
integration which is a little limited. We need some tweaks for proper
gradle integration at some point.

Cheers, Paul.

On 1/06/2015 5:55 AM, Pascal Schumacher wrote:
> So, left to do is just:
>
> - add the checksum generation for source zip to the gradle build (optional)
> - adjust the website to handle the "incubating" qualifiy of the source zip
> - find somebody who is willing to act as a release manger
>
> I'm I missing anything?

---

Re: In shape for a 2.4.4 release?

Posted by Pascal Schumacher <pa...@gmx.net>.
Yes, please. It has been to long since the last release. :(

Thanks for volunteering. :)

Re: In shape for a 2.4.4 release?

Posted by Paul King <pa...@asert.com.au>.
+1, happy to help if I can.

On 6/06/2015 6:00 AM, Cédric Champeau wrote:
> Thanks guys! I think we have everything required for a 2.4.4 release. What do you guys think of giving it a try? The first one is likely to cause some troubles anyway :) I volunteer as the release manager (and I think it's probably the best thing to do since I am tweaking the release process). WDYT?

>     Done :)
>
>     Please add md5=true to the releaseToBintray call.
>
>     Baruch.
>
>     --
>     JFrog Developer Advocate
>     www.jfrog.com <http://www.jfrog.com>
>     +972544954353 <tel:%2B972544954353>
>     @jbaruch <https://twitter.com/jbaruch/>
>     http://linkd.in/jbaruch
>
>     SwampUP <http://bit.ly/1Egh5Iw>
>
>     On Mon, Jun 1, 2015 at 11:59 AM, JBaruch <jbaruch@jfrog.com <ma...@jfrog.com>> wrote:
>
>         We'll add the note there once it's ready (which will be really soon).
>
>         Baruch.
>
>         --
>         JFrog Developer Advocate
>         www.jfrog.com <http://www.jfrog.com>
>         +972544954353 <tel:%2B972544954353>
>         @jbaruch <https://twitter.com/jbaruch/>
>         http://linkd.in/jbaruch
>
>         SwampUP <http://bit.ly/1Egh5Iw>
>
>         On Mon, Jun 1, 2015 at 11:56 AM, Cédric Champeau <cedric.champeau@gmail.com <ma...@gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>             BTW would be nice if someone on your team could reply on the Apache thread. Actually it would be even better if someone wants to become a Groovy committer and be responsible for that integration :)
>

>             On 06/01/2015 10:54 AM, Guillaume Laforge wrote:
>>             Thanks!

>>                 We are on it. Will update ASAP.
>>
>>                 Baruch.
>>
>>                 --
>>                 JFrog Developer Advocate
>>                 www.jfrog.com <http://www.jfrog.com>
>>                 +972544954353 <tel:%2B972544954353>
>>                 @jbaruch <https://twitter.com/jbaruch/>
>>                 http://linkd.in/jbaruch
>>
>>                 SwampUP <http://bit.ly/1Egh5Iw>
>>
>>                 On Mon, Jun 1, 2015 at 10:55 AM, Guillaume Laforge <glaforge@gmail.com <ma...@gmail.com>> wrote:
>>
>>                     Ping JFrog :-)

---

Re: In shape for a 2.4.4 release?

Posted by Cédric Champeau <cc...@apache.org>.
Not sure, when I have some time :) I still have to make a checklist :)

Re: In shape for a 2.4.4 release?

Posted by Guillaume Laforge <gl...@gmail.com>.
Woohooo, is all I can say :-)

Re: In shape for a 2.4.4 release?

Posted by Cédric Champeau <ce...@gmail.com>.
Only the source zip will have the incubating classifier. Other artifacts
will be unchanged. I wonder if we should start using apache-groovy as the
base name for zip artifacts (not maven artifacts which must stay unchanged
to avoid horrible dependency management issues).

Re: In shape for a 2.4.4 release?

Posted by Cédric Champeau <ce...@gmail.com>.
@Russel: I have started documenting the process here:
http://groovy-lang.org/wiki/incubation-release-process.html

I will complete the document as the release process continues. FYI, source
of the doc is here:
https://github.com/groovy/groovy-website/blob/master/site/src/site/wiki/incubation-release-process.adoc

Re: In shape for a 2.4.4 release?

Posted by Russel Winder <ru...@winder.org.uk>.

Re: In shape for a 2.4.4 release?

Posted by Cédric Champeau <cc...@apache.org>.

Re: In shape for a 2.4.4 release?

Posted by JBaruch <jb...@jfrog.com>.
Done :)

Re: In shape for a 2.4.4 release?

Posted by Cédric Champeau <ce...@gmail.com>.

Re: In shape for a 2.4.4 release?

Re: In shape for a 2.4.4 release?

Posted by Paul King <pa...@asert.com.au>.
On 21/05/2015 1:48 PM, Emmanuel Lécharny wrote:
> Le 21/05/15 00:21, Paul King a écrit :
>> On 20/05/2015 5:36 AM, Cédric Champeau wrote:
>>> I wanted to check with you what is preventing us from releasing
>>> 2.4.4. [...]
>>
>> I have a question for our mentors around licensing. Just a point of
>> clarification
>> for the official source distribution zip. We have a number of
>> dependencies
>> which our build brings in and we have incorporated the appropriate
>> license
>> information from those dependencies into our LICENSE and NOTICE files.
>> I believe this is exactly appropriate for the binary artifacts (jars) our
>> build produces and for the convenience binaries we will make available
>> (since
>> those artifacts contain software in binary form from the respective
>> dependency
>> projects). This complies with the wording in those licenses similar to:
>>
>> "... Redistribution and use in source and binary forms ... are permitted
>>   provided that the following conditions are met:
>>   * Redistributions of source code must retain the [various license
>> information]
>>   * Redistributions in binary form must retain the [various license
>> information]"
>>
>> In our case it is the binary form that is relevant. All good so far.
>>
>> The point of clarification is about the source distribution zip itself.
>> Take ASM or ANTLR as an example. There is no source or binary artifacts
>> from those projects anywhere in our source zip. The build brings down the
>> needed binaries at build time which we subsequently bundle into our
>> produced binary artifacts. So, back to the wording above, there is
>> definitely no "redistribution" of source or binary but the fact that our
>> build goes on to incorporate said dependencies, does that count as "use"?
>>
>> So, should the ASM/ANTLR etc. license info appear in the LICENSE/NOTICE
>> files in the root of our source distribution zip? We currently do include
>> them but I am conscious of the need to keep those files containing just
>> the required information and no more.
>
> AFAIK, antlr produces Java code that requires a antlr bundle to run : in
> this case, you 'use' antlr.
>
> In other words, if the tool you use generates some Java code (or
> anything else) that is not using any part of the tool, then I don't
> think you need to retain the license.

OK, thanks for the clarification. I think what we have is correct then.
The Groovy parser requires Antlr and ASM to run, so we'll keep the licensing
in the source bundle. Always good just to double check.

Thanks, Paul.

---

Re: In shape for a 2.4.4 release?

Posted by Roman Shaposhnik <ro...@shaposhnik.org>.
On Wed, May 20, 2015 at 8:48 PM, Emmanuel Lécharny <el...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Le 21/05/15 00:21, Paul King a écrit :
>> On 20/05/2015 5:36 AM, Cédric Champeau wrote:
>>> I wanted to check with you what is preventing us from releasing
>>> 2.4.4. [...]
>>
>> I have a question for our mentors around licensing. Just a point of
>> clarification
>> for the official source distribution zip. We have a number of
>> dependencies
>> which our build brings in and we have incorporated the appropriate
>> license
>> information from those dependencies into our LICENSE and NOTICE files.
>> I believe this is exactly appropriate for the binary artifacts (jars) our
>> build produces and for the convenience binaries we will make available
>> (since
>> those artifacts contain software in binary form from the respective
>> dependency
>> projects). This complies with the wording in those licenses similar to:
>>
>> "... Redistribution and use in source and binary forms ... are permitted
>>  provided that the following conditions are met:
>>  * Redistributions of source code must retain the [various license
>> information]
>>  * Redistributions in binary form must retain the [various license
>> information]"
>>
>> In our case it is the binary form that is relevant. All good so far.
>>
>> The point of clarification is about the source distribution zip itself.
>> Take ASM or ANTLR as an example. There is no source or binary artifacts
>> from those projects anywhere in our source zip. The build brings down the
>> needed binaries at build time which we subsequently bundle into our
>> produced binary artifacts. So, back to the wording above, there is
>> definitely no "redistribution" of source or binary but the fact that our
>> build goes on to incorporate said dependencies, does that count as "use"?
>>
>> So, should the ASM/ANTLR etc. license info appear in the LICENSE/NOTICE
>> files in the root of our source distribution zip? We currently do include
>> them but I am conscious of the need to keep those files containing just
>> the required information and no more.
>
> AFAIK, antlr produces Java code that requires a antlr bundle to run : in
> this case, you 'use' antlr.
>
> In other words, if the tool you use generates some Java code (or
> anything else) that is not using any part of the tool, then I don't
> think you need to retain the license.

This is exactly my understanding as well and something I've seen
on all the other projects I've participated.

Thanks,
Roman.

Re: In shape for a 2.4.4 release?

Posted by Emmanuel Lécharny <el...@gmail.com>.

Re: In shape for a 2.4.4 release?

Posted by Paul King <pa...@asert.com.au>.

Re: In shape for a 2.4.4 release?

Posted by Cédric Champeau <ce...@gmail.com>.

> Yeah, any commit needs to be done by an actual committer. What I'd advise
> for this release is that we do the TeamCity release build against a
> personal fork of the repo, where TeamCity has creds to push etc, and then
> the release manager pushes the commits/branches/tags to the canonical repo
> manually. It's a little awkward, but meets the requirements for ASF
> policies.

I see, this is probably the best thing to do at least for the first
release.

> Can I get access to the TeamCity setup and a walk through of the process?

For TeamCity I will send you an email with credentials. Release process is
described here [1] and here [2]. For [1] we should probably backup this
because it is going to be shutdown anytime soon. We can back it up through
a PR to [3].

[1] http://docs.codehaus.org/display/GROOVY/Release+Process
[2] http://groovy-lang.org/wiki/groovy-release.html
[3] https://github.com/groovy/groovy-website/tree/master/site/src/site/wiki

Re: In shape for a 2.4.4 release?

Posted by Andrew Bayer <an...@gmail.com>.

Re: In shape for a 2.4.4 release?

Posted by Emmanuel Lécharny <el...@gmail.com>.

Re: In shape for a 2.4.4 release?

Posted by Cédric Champeau <ce...@gmail.com>.

Re: In shape for a 2.4.4 release?

Posted by Emmanuel Lécharny <el...@gmail.com>.

Re: In shape for a 2.4.4 release?

Posted by Cédric Champeau <cc...@apache.org>.

> If they require -incubating in the filename, does that mean it'll be in
> the Maven coordinates as well?  If so, that's unfortunate since there are
> many tools (like IntelliJ) that probably won't be able to automatically
> locate the source jar.
>
> No, the Maven coordinates will not change. Only the source zip will have
-incubating in the file name.

Re: In shape for a 2.4.4 release?

Posted by Andrew Bayer <an...@gmail.com>.
The Maven sources.jar will have the same version as the other Maven
artifacts - the sources zip referred to here is the source release
tarball/zipfile that is the only actual official Apache release artifact -
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/release/jclouds/1.9.0/, e.g.

A.

Re: In shape for a 2.4.4 release?

Posted by Keegan Witt <ke...@gmail.com>.