Posted to fop-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Jeremias Maerki <de...@jeremias-maerki.ch> on 2005/10/21 16:57:42 UTC

Re: Problem with fox:outline in FOP Trunk (was: Hello)

The snapshots are currently broken due to long path names. But that's
not the problem you're experiencing. The problem is that fox:outline [1]
is not implemented in FOP Trunk anymore. It has been superseded by the
new bookmark elements from XSL-FO 1.1 [2].

I wonder if we should add fox:outline again for backwards compatibility.
Hmm.

A little request: Please put a descriptive text in the subject line next
time. Thanks.

[1] http://xmlgraphics.apache.org/fop/extensions.html#bookmarks
[2] http://www.w3.org/TR/xsl11/#d0e14085

On 21.10.2005 16:43:37 a b wrote:
> Helo there,
>
> I´m using fop under a linux-debian box.
>
> I´ve been trying to get the "trunk" version of fop,
> from here:
>
> http://cvs.apache.org/snapshots/fop/
>
> I´ve set up ant, and the last version of java sdk/jre.
>
> I´ve donwloaded the last two versions by now, which
> are:
>
> fop_20051021104642.tar.gz
> fop_20051021043611.tar.gz
>
> But when I build them up and try to use them, I get an
> error like this, more or less:
>
> No element mapping definition found for <fox:outline
>
> I think (in my ignorance), this could be either
> because automatic-snapshots are not always
> "working-products", or because I´m doing something
> wrong, although build-process seems to finish ok.
>
> Why I´m looking for a newer version than 0.20.5 is
> because I can use background-image, and some other
> properties seem to be already implemented, as seen
> here:
>
> http://xmlgraphics.apache.org/fop/compliance.html#fo-object-section
>

> Any comments are welcome.
>
> Kind Regards,

Jeremias Maerki

Re: Image - Scale Width/Height

Posted by "J.Pietschmann" <j3...@yahoo.de>.
Prakash R wrote:
> Can someone have a “box” (eg: table cell) set to a
> specific height and width and say to have an image
> scale to the size of that box??

In principle, yes. Unfortunately, FOP 0.20.5 doesn't
implement "height" properly, which may lead to an increased
height of the table row.

J.Pietschmann

Image - Scale Width/Height

Posted by Prakash R <ra...@yahoo.com>.
Can someone have a “box” (eg: table cell) set to a
specific height and width and say to have an image
scale to the size of that box??

If images are taller than the height, then scale by
height. But if images are wider than the widths, then
scale by width. But if both height and width are
higher, then scale it such that the image fits in the
box but still maintains its aspect ratio.

Thank you.
Prakas

Re: Problem with fox:outline in FOP Trunk (was: Hello)

Posted by Glen Mazza <gm...@apache.org>.
Jeremias Maerki wrote:

> XSL 1.0, 6.4.19, fo:static-content says:
> http://www.w3.org/TR/xsl/slice6.html#fo_static-content
>
> Contents:
> (%block;)+
>
> So you must at least have one block as a child for fo:static-content (It
> can be empty). The redesigned FOP is much more strict about the
> interpretation of the specification.

The reason why XSL is strict about this is to guard against XSLT
errors--i.e., a erroneously un-activated XSLT template causing your
fo:static-content element to be empty on (say) page 240, and you not
knowing that because your XSL processor silently kept running (or just
giving a warning message among several screens of other output.)  By
halting, it allows you to go back and fix the template error instead of
submitting an erroneously built document to someone else.

Glen

Re: Problem with fox:outline in FOP Trunk (was: Hello)

Posted by Jeremias Maerki <de...@jeremias-maerki.ch>.
On 21.10.2005 18:11:17 a b wrote:
> Hello again,
>
> Sorry about that, and thanks very much to both of you
> for your replies.
>
> I din´t say I´m using dockbook, together with xlstproc
> and fop.
>
> I´m just a newbie with all of this, but after your
> replies, I´ve managed to correct docbook-xsl sources
> to handle properly fo:bookmark-tree and it´s
> descendants.
>
> Now I´m getting another error wich has got something
> to do fo:static content asking for one or more block
> entries.
>
> I mean, what to do If I´d like to use fop´s latest
> snapshot + docbook as a tool-chain?
>
> Anywhere form where to get info about this specific
> issue?

XSL 1.0, 6.4.19, fo:static-content says:
http://www.w3.org/TR/xsl/slice6.html#fo_static-content

Contents:
(%block;)+

So you must at least have one block as a child for fo:static-content (It
can be empty). The redesigned FOP is much more strict about the
interpretation of the specification.

> Also, Jeremias said the actual snapshot is broken due
> to long path names in this case, where can I find info
> on whether the actual snapshot is actually broken or
> not (and where), so I sync of all this and handle it
> and work always with latest versions?

There's no direct info that they are broken, but we removed the links to
the snapshots. We will reenable the link when the snapshot production is
fixed. Until then we recommend that you download the sources using
Subversion.

Jeremias Maerki

Re: Problem with fox:outline in FOP Trunk

Posted by Glen Mazza <gm...@apache.org>.
Jeremias Maerki wrote:

> I wonder if we should add fox:outline again for backwards compatibility.
> Hmm.

FOP 1.0 is a different application from 0.20.5.  They are not
backwards-compatible, just like Struts 1.0.2 and 1.27 aren't.  Users who
prefer the API of 0.20.5 can continue on with that version.  But FOP 1.0
really needs to move past the architectural baggage of 0.20.5, lest we
return to what Joerg had called the Great FOP Depression again of few
people understanding the code or being able to fix it/improve it.

Ordinarily here, I would still say "yes" though to adding fox:outline to
1.0, so the stylesheet continues to work, providing we have solid
deprecation warnings for users to switch to the new FO's.  But I'm
reluctant to do so for this reason:  IIRC fox:outline has a very nasty
content model in 0.20.5, basically you can place it anywhere--and you'd
have to ease up so much on the internal validation to support that that
everyone else would be hurt with (1) NPE's due to a watered-down
validation, plus (2) the already-complex downstream layout logic being
clogged with validation logic again in order to patch all the NPE's
caused by not doing validation.  So I'm -0.8 on returning this
functionality--bookmarks were implemented really sloppily in 0.20.5, and
I don't think we want to hurt 1.0's architecture by putting that monster
back in.

Still, I think that FOP 1.0 should at least *ignore* every fox:outline
element, i.e., not raise an error and halt.  Users can test trunk with
their stylesheets and then add the XSL WD1.1 bookmarks in later.

Glen

Re: Problem with fox:outline in FOP Trunk (was: Hello)

Posted by a b <ac...@yahoo.es>.
Hello again,