Posted to dev@tuscany.apache.org by "Mike [bondolo] Duigou" <bo...@jxta.org> on 2007/02/22 00:14:36 UTC

Re: [JXTA user] FW: BouncyCastle IDEA patent

JXTA JSE currently uses only a very small subset of Bouncy Castle which
does not include the IDEA cipher algorithm. We are currently using

- PKCS#1 Certificate generation.
- PKCS#10 Certificate Signing Request generation. (optional)

Note that in order to use these functions it is necessary for us to
install the bouncy castle JCE provider which means that applications
could access the patented functions. If you know of appropriately
licensed alternative code which is limited to only these functions we
would be happy to convert as doing so would free us from export control
review entirely.

Mike

Posted by Jeremy Boynes <jb...@apache.org>.
On Feb 21, 2007, at 3:14 PM, Mike [bondolo] Duigou wrote:

> JXTA JSE currently uses only a very small subset of Bouncy Castle
> which does not include the IDEA cipher algorithm. We are currently
> using
>
> - PKCS#1 Certificate generation.
> - PKCS#10 Certificate Signing Request generation. (optional)
>
> Note that in order to use these functions it is necessary for us to
> install the bouncy castle JCE provider which means that
> applications could access the patented functions. If you know of
> appropriately licensed alternative code which is limited to only
> these functions we would be happy to convert as doing so would free
> us from export control review entirely.

David Jencks pointed out that Geronimo had a similar issue and ended
up duplicating that function into a separate module geronimo-util
(allowing Geronimo to remove its dependency on Bouncy Castle).

Would that be an option for you?
--
Jeremy