Posted to user@jmeter.apache.org by Mytho Logic <ma...@gmail.com> on 2009/09/25 09:32:54 UTC

Not able to run test plan successfully for 270 concurrent users

Hi,

I am not able to run test plan for 270 concurrent users. Please find below
all my details.

Test setup Details-
1> Jmeter Client
   HEAP=-Xms512m -Xmx1024m

2> Jmeter Server(quantity:1)
   HEAP=-Xms512m -Xmx4096m

3> Tomcat Server
   JAVA_OPTS=-Xms1024m -Xmx1024m

4> For 260 Concurrent users, changed the default maxthreads limit
   from 200 to 2500. Below 2500 maxthreads limit,
   Jmeter throws a “java.net.ConnectException: Connection refused:”

5> Test Plan:-
   - User will hit home page of a web application
   - User will go to products page
   - Products page has 9 product images.And each src of images is basically
URL.
     So 9 http sample requests for 9 product images
   - User will go to product detail page
Total Sample Requests => 12 * 260 = 3120

6> Finally, it works properly without any error.

Problem:
--------
For 270 concurrent users ( with the same configuration mentioned above),I am
getting error message for
few http sample requests.
Error message: “java.net.ConnectException: Connection refused:”

What should I do to resolve the problem.

Questions:
----------
1> To resolve the problem, should I use another Jmeter server? Currently, I
am using one Jmeter server
2> Should I gradually increase the maxthreads limit in tomcat's "server.xml"
to check at what point it works
   properly for 270 users?
3> My target is 2500 concurrent users.
   So to test this how many Jmeter servers I need.
   Also what should be the Heap size in those servers.
4> Is it require to increase the tomcat's JAVA_OPTS ? Currently, I had given
1 GB.

Thanks
Maumita

Re: Not able to run test plan successfully for 270 concurrent users

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 25/09/2009, Mytho Logic <ma...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
>  I am not able to run test plan for 270 concurrent users. Please find below
>  all my details.
>
>  Test setup Details-
>  1> Jmeter Client
>    HEAP=-Xms512m -Xmx1024m
>
>  2> Jmeter Server(quantity:1)
>    HEAP=-Xms512m -Xmx4096m
>
>  3> Tomcat Server
>    JAVA_OPTS=-Xms1024m -Xmx1024m
>
>  4> For 260 Concurrent users, changed the default maxthreads limit
>    from 200 to 2500. Below 2500 maxthreads limit,
>    Jmeter throws a “java.net.ConnectException: Connection refused:”
>
>  5> Test Plan:-
>    - User will hit home page of a web application
>    - User will go to products page
>    - Products page has 9 product images.And each src of images is basically
>  URL.
>      So 9 http sample requests for 9 product images
>    - User will go to product detail page
>  Total Sample Requests => 12 * 260 = 3120
>
>  6> Finally, it works properly without any error.
>
>  Problem:
>  --------
>  For 270 concurrent users ( with the same configuration mentioned above),I am
>  getting error message for
>  few http sample requests.
>  Error message: “java.net.ConnectException: Connection refused:”
>
>  What should I do to resolve the problem.
>
>  Questions:
>  ----------
>  1> To resolve the problem, should I use another Jmeter server? Currently, I
>  am using one Jmeter server

Irrelevant, because the problem is with the server.

>  2> Should I gradually increase the maxthreads limit in tomcat's "server.xml"
>  to check at what point it works
>    properly for 270 users?

That's a question for the Tomcat user list.

>  3> My target is 2500 concurrent users.
>    So to test this how many Jmeter servers I need.
>    Also what should be the Heap size in those servers.

Probably 2 or 3, but you might manage with fewer or need more, see:

http://wiki.apache.org/jakarta-jmeter/HowManyThreads

Posted by Deepak Shetty <sh...@gmail.com>.
I believe there is a similar question in the mail archives. Tomcat has a
limit on max number of connections/ thread which needs to be increased if
you want to increase the load.

Posted by Deepak Goel <de...@gmail.com>.
I am afraid there might not be an quick fix for this.

There could be multiple problems:

Tomcat Server (Number of Server Threads, Heap Size Setting, etc)
Application (Code Quality, Algorithm)
Hardware (CPU, Memory, Network)
OS (File, IO setting)

You would have to performance tune the whole system.

--
Regards

Deepak Goel
+91- 9765089593