Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Jason van Zyl <jv...@sonatype.com> on 2009/04/24 00:46:54 UTC

The Hostile Takeover of Maven

Could someone who speaks French please translate this for me before I
respond:

http://blog.loof.fr/

I'm not a native French speaker so I won't speculate, but if someone
would translate I would like to respond.

Thanks,

Jason

Jason van Zyl
Founder,  Apache Maven
http://twitter.com/jvanzyl

What matters is not ideas, but the people who have them. Good people
can fix bad ideas, but good ideas can't save bad people.

  -- Paul Graham

Re: The Hostile Takeover of Maven

Posted by Christian Edward Gruber <ch...@gmail.com>.
Get a second opinion, but it's more or less the gist.

Christian

Posted by Jason van Zyl <jv...@sonatype.com>.
On 30-Apr-09, at 8:37 AM, nicolas de loof wrote:

> Hi,(Hope my poor english will not create nonsense here)
>
> Thanks for your reply, whatever can be said against my contribution
> to Maven
> core :p
>
> I fully agree I was not a usefull contributor to maven core. The main
> reasons are
>
> - lack of time : I'm not a self-employee man. I get not a cents fom
> maven -
> maybe I'll with the incoming french book, but that lot's of efforts
> for few
> money. I like maven and want it to be as good as possible.
>
> - hard to understand design. Sory to say that lack of typed
> collections /
> javadoc on APIs don't help to understand internals, even for plugin
> developpers

Done in trunk, and Hervé has made the changes necessary in Modello for
the generated code.

> - use of (maybe technologically excellent but) exotic and poorly
> documented
> tools. This don't make things easy for a newbee developer to bring
> good code
> in SVN.

Such is life but this barely impacts the code in core itself. Using
Guice, for example, is not going to help that problem. Though using
Guice would help when problems occurred. There's no avoiding the hard
work of digging in and spending hundreds of man hours to understand
the code base. I think this will be far simpler to understand in 3.x
and that's my primary goal with the first release.

> I'd be pleased to contribute more to maven-core. To be honnest, I've
> allready so much to do on plugins - maybe the visible part of the
> iceberg,
> but the one users request features

That's fine, comment where you have a right to comment.

> For more and better contributions I'd need a cleaner view on maven
> short
> term roadmap. The maven 3.x plan is a very high level and I have not
> spare
> enough time to try understand it. The 2.2 release seems more
> accessible to
> me, and I plan to contribute more to this branch when I get time for
> it.

Then contribute where you're comfortable but I a strongly disagree
with John and Brett and I'm not going to make a grand master roadmap
to have the vast majority of people do nothing. I have historical
precent on my side. If someone wants to be creative and helpful. I'd
be happy to chat with them and in 3 hours could probably record
something someone can work with.

No one wants to do the shitty work and it's not contributing to
features right now it's working on and fixing the integration tests so
that someone can work on the core and get immediate feedback on
problems. Completely working integration tests in Hudson running all
the time is more important to me then a roadmap. I'm refactoring and I
don't even know what future versions of Maven 3.x will look like I
just know that the code base is too hard to work with.

> I really consider you make a technically great job on maven trunk,
> and want
> Sonatype to stay a main supporter or opensource maven. I just don't
> like the
> idea that people not working full time on maven have few chance to
> get into
> the project.

If you want to help us with the integration tests and refactoring then
that is the best way to enable others getting involved. Documentation
of code that changes on a daily basis is useless. Tests which describe
how the components work and the ITs where you see examples of behavior
is what will make it easier for people to try and make changes knowing
they haven't harmed the system.

> I'd like to see a real roadmap for maven 2.x and 3.x, not just few
> pages on
> wiki. I'd like to know WHY we have replaced Foo with Bar not having to
> search the mailing list history (@see the proposal wikis used on
> apache
> commons for sample). I'd like to ensure some major discution don't
> occured
> on IRC when I'm sleeping ;)

I'm not going to go into a huge long discussion, if people don't like
the direction then look at the code. At this point I'm telling you
that there is not a lot of interesting work going on insofar as
features. It's all refactoring and testing and it's full-time work. I
am merging to popular frameworks and I'm picking the ones I like
because I'm doing the work. If you don't like them write your own and
put them forward. We're never going to use Spring, so the choices for
IoC are XBR, Pico, and Guice and Guice is probably the best fit for
community, number of users, and compatibility with Plexus. For
transport who can do a better job then the Jetty people? Yes I just
try and preempt these low level discussions because do you really
care? If so say something.

You either help with all the crap work of integration testing, or wait
until the feature discussions start. As I try to solidify the base it
is hard to stop while I'm working full-time but the APIs are getting
smaller, the code base is getting smaller and more ITs are passing and
trunk is catching up to being compatible with 2.x.

If someone wants to chat and take the lead on writing the roadmap I
would be happy to work with them.

> To make things shorter, I'd like to see Maven beeing documented on
> what we
> want it to be and how we plan to do so. Nowaday I can't find anything
> concrete about this.

It's all where it's always been in the Wiki. You can ask the people
who have made proposals so you have to do a lot of work as well if you
want to understand what people have done. It's not my job to spend
half my time telling you what I'm doing so we can discuss and have me
do the work. If you want to get involved then ask questions. I'm happy
to tell anyone anything they want to know. At this point after 5 years
I know what the average person contributes and doesn't and that's just
the way it is. If someone wants to change that here then they have to
work with what's here and for the core on 3.x that's me.  If someone
wants to make a completely detailed road map I'll point them to all
the source material which is plenty, if scattered, and I will be happy
to help someone put together a full plan. I want to code. I don't want
to be a project manager. My modus operandi is to focus in on and
select the couple people I know who can help in fundamental ways.
Benjamin is one of them for me. I would rather spend all my time with
him then write you a roadmap. If you want a roadmap I'll give you the
material to write a roadmap.

> Maybe I'm not community-compliant with such expectation, maybe I can
> get
> blamed to publicly claim my point of view, maybe I missunderstood
> Sonatype
> implication on Maven development and maybe I'd better focus on
> Archiva and
> forget maven-core. If you thing so, please remove my write
> permission on
> maven-core SVN. I just would like to keep it on core-plugins if
> possible, as
> those one require people if we expect to get more frequent releases.

That's not what was voted so that's not what's done here. It's one of
the things I disagree with here but you take the parts you agree with,
along with the parts you disagree with.

> [...]
>> because
>> if it isn't and people think we're doing devious things to then our
>> entire
>> model crumbles. Without a healthy Maven community we have no
>> business. We
>> invest in Maven without the expectation of a direct return.
>>
>> We've invested in remaking Archetype, a couple full-time employees
>> working
>> on the 2.x codebase to make sure releases continue, work on
>> evolving the
>> artifact system, the transport system, Brian spends a ton of time
>> setting up
>> things like Nexus (and yes it's our product but yes it is useful to
>> Maven
>> users nonetheless), the Maven book, m2eclipse + book, Nexus + book
>> so I
>> think we're doing a lot for the community. We definitely hope people
>> recognize this and see because of this we understand the ecosystem
>> of tools
>> very well and puts us in a position to make great products that fit
>> well in
>> the ecosystem. I think Sonatype has done a pretty good job
>> balancing our
>> community and commercial interests.
>>

>>> As Daniel said, I really like Maven, I really like the maven 3
>>> roadmap you
>>> described (the post was also a way to link to the video). I also
>>> don't
>>> like
>>> the current dev process : "release early, release often" - it
>>> tooks 6
>>> month
>>> between two minor maven 2.0 release, we hardly got a maven 2.1
>>> build.
>>>

>> So what are you doing about it? Aside from complaining? Seriously?
>> You
>> don't even ask for a summary of what you want, you just post a
>> diatribe
>> which doesn't do the community any good.

>>> don't say people here are not activelly contributing : the dev
>>> community
>>> is
>>> working hard and I myslef hardly find time to contribute
>>> significantly. I
>>> just thing we miss a good roadmap plan. Maven 2.x just have one
>>> from few
>>> time, maven 3 is still a "will be great, bu when" project.
>>>

>>> Please post any comment you feel usefull for users to understand
>>> your idea
>>> of maven future.
>>>
>>> Thanks all
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> Nicolas

>> Thanks,
>>
>> Jason

>> Jason van Zyl
>> Founder,  Apache Maven
>> http://twitter.com/jvanzyl
>> http://twitter.com/SonatypeNexus
>> http://twitter.com/SonatypeM2E
>>
>> the course of true love never did run smooth ...

First, the taking in of scattered particulars under one Idea,
so that everyone understands what is being talked about ... Second,
the separation of the Idea into parts, by dividing it at the joints,
as nature directs, not breaking any limb in half as a bad carver might.

   -- Plato, Phaedrus (Notes on the Synthesis of Form by C. Alexander)

Re: The Hostile Takeover of Maven

Posted by nicolas de loof <ni...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jason van Zyl <jv...@sonatype.com>.

Posted by nicolas de loof <ni...@gmail.com>.
Hi guys,
The previous translation sounds good, far better that any english I could
write by myself, as you may notice in following lines ;).

First of all, this blog was not expected to be offensive. If you consider it
such please accept my apology, and feel free to attach any comment to expose
your point of view. My blog is only for personnal opinions and uses a
caricatural style to get reader post comments. If I hurted you I can post an
eratum with my apologies, this was not expected to be read at first degree.
For this reason I choosed this title in relation with current finantial
activities around SUN & Java

During JUG sessions, many people ask me about maven roadmap, and how the
project development is planed. Most of them are not used with professional
opensource, and ask me how a company like Sonatype can get money from
opensource.

This blog article has been written in reply to such discutions. It tries to
reflect how Sonatype guys work full-time on maven 3 and related ecosystem to
be "the maven company". As you may notice, I compare this business model to
Spring and JBoss way to opensource : open license, project open to
contribution, but project lead "hosted" by a company.

As Daniel said, I really like Maven, I really like the maven 3 roadmap you
described (the post was also a way to link to the video). I also don't like
the current dev process : "release early, release often" - it tooks 6 month
between two minor maven 2.0 release, we hardly got a maven 2.1 build. I

Posted by Jason van Zyl <jv...@sonatype.com>.
On 23-Apr-09, at 11:19 PM, Daniel Le Berre wrote:

> Jason,
>
> The summary is perfectly correct.
>
> I would add that the author mentions too that your are friends, and
> the way the text is written is not offensive.

Good thing you translated. From the title and the Google translated
text I read it as offensive. We are not friends so I would guess an

Posted by Christian Edward Gruber <ch...@gmail.com>.
Thanks, Daniel.   I kind of felt I was missing a dimension there.

Christian.

e-mail: christianedwardgruber@gmail.com
weblog: http://www.geekinasuit.com/

Re: The Hostile Takeover of Maven

Posted by Daniel Le Berre <le...@cril.univ-artois.fr>.
Jason,

Posted by Jason van Zyl <jv...@sonatype.com>.
If he likes, I'll wait for him.

I was hoping someone like Vincent Massol, who is equally proficient in
French and English, would translate.

Posted by Jason van Zyl <jv...@sonatype.com>.
Nicolas, I would like if you would provide your translation if you
want to respond. I'm not in any particular rush so take your time, but
you cannot post something like that and not expect me to respond.

On 23-Apr-09, at 4:59 PM, Brian Fox wrote:

> FWIW, here might have been a good place to discuss concerns to begin
> with, instead of on a blog.
>
> Brian Fox wrote:
>> Isn't Nicolas around, maybe he'd like to offer a translation?
>>
>> Jason van Zyl wrote:
>>> Thanks if that seems like a reasonable translation I will respond.

>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>> Jason

>>> Jason van Zyl
>>> Founder,  Apache Maven
>>> http://twitter.com/jvanzyl
>>>
>>> A man enjoys his work when he understands the whole and when he
>>> is responsible for the quality of the whole
>>>
>>> -- Christopher Alexander, A Pattern Language

Jason

Jason van Zyl
Founder,  Apache Maven
http://twitter.com/jvanzyl

Our achievements speak for themselves. What we have to keep track
of are our failures, discouragements and doubts. We tend to forget
the past difficulties, the many false starts, and the painful
groping. We see our past achievements as the end result of a
clean forward thrust, and our present difficulties as
signs of decline and decay.

  -- Eric Hoffer, Reflections on the Human Condition

Re: The Hostile Takeover of Maven

Posted by Brian Fox <br...@infinity.nu>.

Posted by Brian Fox <br...@infinity.nu>.

Posted by Jason van Zyl <jv...@sonatype.com>.

Posted by Christian Edward Gruber <ch...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Christian Edward Gruber <ch...@gmail.com>.
Damn... that's nicholas?  Oh, I understand the GWT comment now.  I
remember that discussion.

Christian.