Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by jdow <jd...@earthlink.net> on 2005/05/10 19:43:36 UTC

This is what happens when I get angry with a spammer

===8<---
header JD_USATODAY_1    From =~ /e\.usatoday\.com/i
describe JD_USATODAY_1  usatoday.com - SAY WHAT?
score JD_USATODAY_1     300

body JD_USATODAY_2      /e\.usatoday\.com/i
describe JD_USATODAY_2  I never joined dummies
score JD_USATODAY_2     300
===8<---

Somebody at that "media" place needs to get his head taken apart to
see what broke in side. If they can't Humpty it back together again
that's too bad.

(This way it sorts to the end of the subject sort so I can keep track
of whether this was a one shot "harvest attempt" or what.)

I suspect usatoday.com should be put on every BL in sight, too.

(Full spam available to he who wants.)
{^_^}

Re: This is what happens when I get angry with a spammer

Posted by jdow <jd...@earthlink.net>.
From: "Steve Prior" <sp...@geekster.com>

> jdow wrote:
>

> > Kindly explain to me how I can perform that nice bounce trick when I am
> > using fetchmail, Steve. I'd LOVE to do that.
>
> Unfortunatly you can't.  You only have one shot to reject the email from
> the spammer and that is when the spammers machine is connecting to yours
> to deliver the message.  Once the mail has been accepted from the spammers
> MTA you have to assume everything has been forged so a return address
can't
> be used.
>
> As soon as the spammer machine delivers the email to another mail server
it
> is a successful delivery as far as the spammer is concerned - the only
thing
> that makes it better is if you buy the thing their spamming about.  If as
> in your SA rule you call the spammer names and hack the email to little
pieces,
> that's only for your own amusement and lack of clutter in your inbox.
>
> Don't get me wrong, SA is great and I wouldn't go a day without it, I'm
> just clarifying that spammers only feel pain when their spam is turned
> away at the gate and doesn't make it inside your walls at all and when
> possible the goal is to make them feel the pain!!!

Exactly. (The question was rhetorical. {^_-})

The very high scores have two side effects over a mere 5.1 score or
even 2.51 each scores. First it sorts any such messages to the end
of a subject sort with the spam markup I use. Second it gives me the
satisfaction of showing them how disgusted I am with them. If USA
TODAY is starting to try to find readership for their travel paper
then they are in severe doodoo. And an advanced warning is called for.
That is why I posted it here. (It DID come from their network, too.)

{^_^}

Re: This is what happens when I get angry with a spammer

Posted by Steve Prior <sp...@geekster.com>.
jdow wrote:

> Kindly explain to me how I can perform that nice bounce trick when I am
> using fetchmail, Steve. I'd LOVE to do that.

Unfortunatly you can't.  You only have one shot to reject the email from
the spammer and that is when the spammers machine is connecting to yours
to deliver the message.  Once the mail has been accepted from the spammers
MTA you have to assume everything has been forged so a return address can't
be used.

As soon as the spammer machine delivers the email to another mail server it
is a successful delivery as far as the spammer is concerned - the only thing
that makes it better is if you buy the thing their spamming about.  If as
in your SA rule you call the spammer names and hack the email to little pieces,
that's only for your own amusement and lack of clutter in your inbox.

Don't get me wrong, SA is great and I wouldn't go a day without it, I'm
just clarifying that spammers only feel pain when their spam is turned
away at the gate and doesn't make it inside your walls at all and when
possible the goal is to make them feel the pain!!!

Steve

Re: This is what happens when I get angry with a spammer

Posted by jdow <jd...@earthlink.net>.
From: "Steve Prior" <sp...@geekster.com>

Posted by Steve Prior <sp...@geekster.com>.