Posted to docs@httpd.apache.org by "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net> on 2008/11/05 20:46:39 UTC

mod_cern_meta, mod_imagemap

Any suggestions of how we can set up an 'extra' modules area for
very simple modules such as cern_meta and imagemap which are so
old and crusty, it isn't sensible to ever ship them in 2.4 or 3.0
flavors of httpd?

Started to think about this, and realized that mod_ftp and similar
elements of the httpd project are too "heavy" and approach for
single source files with single doc pages.

Yes; believe it or not (due to the mod_i[mage]map vulnerability)
I had uncloaked at least two customers still using this module,
so people still want it.  That doesn't mean these should remain
in the collection of recommended modules that come in the httpd
tarball, however :)

Re: mod_cern_meta, mod_imagemap

Posted by Graham Leggett <mi...@sharp.fm>.
Paul Querna wrote:

> delete them.
>
> if they need them, they can go find them in old svn branches and use apxs.
>
> it should be HARD to use server side image maps now days.
>
> you could say, let it die.
>
> but i prefer, help it die.

+1.

Regards,
Graham

Re: mod_cern_meta, mod_imagemap

Posted by Graham Leggett <mi...@sharp.fm>.
Paul Querna wrote:

> delete them.
>
> if they need them, they can go find them in old svn branches and use apxs.
>
> it should be HARD to use server side image maps now days.
>
> you could say, let it die.
>
> but i prefer, help it die.

+1.

Regards,
Graham

Re: mod_cern_meta, mod_imagemap

Posted by Lars Eilebrecht <la...@eilebrecht.net>.
Paul Querna wrote:

> delete them.

+1

> you could say, let it die.
>
> but i prefer, help it die.

I'm really happy to help in this case. :)

ciao...
--
Lars Eilebrecht
lars@eilebrecht.net

Re: mod_cern_meta, mod_imagemap

Posted by Jorge Schrauwen <jo...@gmail.com>.
I know there is a way to drop in modules in the httpd source tree before
compiling.
I've always found this complicated and compile module out of the tree.

Maybe a better way to drop modules into the tree could be created?
Then extra modules could be downloaded and dropped in.

Maybe a page on httpd.a.o where you can download the tar's to drop in?

Just thing out loud here.

/me leaves his 2 cents on the table

~Jorge

Posted by Ruediger Pluem <rp...@apache.org>.

Posted by Nick Kew <ni...@webthing.com>.
On Wed, 05 Nov 2008 14:02:55 -0600
Paul Querna <ch...@force-elite.com> wrote:

> William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:
> > Any suggestions of how we can set up an 'extra' modules area for
> > very simple modules such as cern_meta and imagemap which are so
> > old and crusty, it isn't sensible to ever ship them in 2.4 or 3.0
> > flavors of httpd?

Indeed.  But supporting them at the level of "still works" should
be trivial.

> delete them.

-1.  Stop packaging them, but keep them in an attic for anyone
who still wants them.

> if they need them, they can go find them in old svn branches and use
> apxs.
>
> it should be HARD to use server side image maps now days.

Why?

It's a perfectly valid construct.

--
Nick Kew

http://www.apachetutor.org/

Re: mod_cern_meta, mod_imagemap

Posted by Paul Querna <ch...@force-elite.com>.
William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:
> Any suggestions of how we can set up an 'extra' modules area for
> very simple modules such as cern_meta and imagemap which are so
> old and crusty, it isn't sensible to ever ship them in 2.4 or 3.0
> flavors of httpd?
>
> Started to think about this, and realized that mod_ftp and similar
> elements of the httpd project are too "heavy" and approach for
> single source files with single doc pages.
>
> Yes; believe it or not (due to the mod_i[mage]map vulnerability)
> I had uncloaked at least two customers still using this module,
> so people still want it.  That doesn't mean these should remain
> in the collection of recommended modules that come in the httpd
> tarball, however :)

delete them.

if they need them, they can go find them in old svn branches and use apxs.

it should be HARD to use server side image maps now days.

you could say, let it die.

but i prefer, help it die.

-Paul

Re: mod_cern_meta, mod_imagemap