Posted to user@geronimo.apache.org by Alexey Kakunin <ak...@emdev.ru> on 2008/07/01 11:31:16 UTC

Re: Re: Re: Using WS-Security with Geronimo 2.1.1

2008/6/30 Sainath Chowdary <sa...@gmail.com>:

> Hi Alexey Kakunin,
>
> If you know how to work with security and if cxf-rt-ws-security is not
> present in Geronimo then you should try copying the jar file
> (cxf-rt-ws-security-*.*.jar) into the project folder class path default
> location (i.e WEB-INF/lib) and use it is any normal library that is present
> on server.

Yes, this is exactly what I did. I placed required library into project's
WEB-INF/lib, and changed version used from 2.1 to 2.0.2 (in my case it was
not critical) to avoid version incompatibility with CXF bundled with
Geronimo.
It only looks strange, why Geronimo included most, but not all CXF
libraries.

>>> user@geronimo.apache.org Kopie

--
With best regards,
Alexey Kakunin

Re: Re: Re: Using WS-Security with Geronimo 2.1.1

Posted by Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org>.
Geronimo pretty much includes just the parts of CXF that are needed to pass
the JAX-WS parts of the TCK.   It doesn't include the "extra" things like
ws-addressing, ws-security, ws-rm, aegis databinding, etc....    Geronimo
didn't need them so they didn't pull them in.

When adding the jar like that, keep in mind that you may need other
dependencies like wss4j, xml-sec, etc.. that ws-security requires that might
not be shipped with Geronimo.

One thing to keep in mind is that the CXF ws-security implementation (and
the Axis2/Rampart implementation as well) is based on WSS4J which isn't up
to WS-Security 1.1 level yet.   Some of the profiles it supports are "close"
to 1.1 levels, but for the most part, it's 1.0.   A note to the wss4j dev
list (wss4j-dev@ws.apache.org) would probably a good start to figure out
what wss4j supports.

That said, it would be great if Geronimo could update to CXF 2.0.7
(non-incubator) for a 2.1.2 release.

Dan