Posted to derby-user@db.apache.org by Kathey Marsden <km...@sbcglobal.net> on 2005/08/11 19:38:53 UTC

Re: Derby Standards

Philip Wilder wrote:

> I'll take what I can get. :-)

Hmmm.. found this sitting in my drafts folder. Don't know if it is of
any help at this late date.

I don't  think we have a list on the website.  It would be nice.  In
addition to those you have mentioned,
a few specs of interest off the top of my  head...

    - The Java Transaction API (JTA) Specification from Sun
     - XA+ Specification which lives on the same page as the protocol
specifications at: http://www.opengroup.org/dbiop/
    - JSR169 from Sun  (10.1 only)
    -The Java Virtual Machine Specification from Sun  (relevant to byte
code generation)

FYI: For the SQL Specs, I think you need $$ to get the official copies.

Kathey

Re: Derby Standards

Posted by Mamta Satoor <ms...@gmail.com>.
Hi Lance,
 If you follows the thread SQL-99 Core vs. Derby features (dated April 11th
'05), you might find some of the information you are looking for. Bernt
Johnsen had prepared a table comparing the SQL-99 standards against Derby.
 Mamta

Re: Derby Standards

Posted by "Lance J. Andersen" <La...@Sun.COM>.

Derby XA Standards

Posted by Philip Wilder <05...@acadiau.ca>.
Sorry to bother everyone again with another standard question but I'm
just trying to wrap my head around the Derby's interaction with the XA+
specification. From my research it appears that communication between
Resource Managers (such as Derby) and Transaction Managers is done
through the XA Specification. Interaction between the Application
Program and the Transaction Managers is handled through the Transaction
Demarcation (TX) specification and finally Interaction between the
Transaction Manager and the Communications Resource Manager is done
through the XA+ specification.

My suspicion is that Derby is only concerned with the Interaction
between the Resource Manager and the Transaction Manager and the only
reason Derby uses the XA+ specification is because it is a superset of
the XA specification. Thus the portion of the XA+ specification dealing
with communication between the Transaction Manager and the
Communications Resource Manager is ignored. Can anyone confirm this for me?

Philip

Re: Derby Standards

Posted by Mamta Satoor <ms...@gmail.com>.
Hi Philip,
 Derby does not implement JDBC Rowset, so we probably don't need JSR 114
spec.
 Mamta

Re: Derby Standards

Posted by Philip Wilder <05...@acadiau.ca>.