Posted to dev@ignite.apache.org by Kevin Daly <ke...@meta.com> on 2017/02/07 12:45:39 UTC

Swap Space for Caches

We are encountering a limitation with Ignite Cache and swapping to disk,
the issue that we are running into is that for some collections we need
this tier of caching.

on_heap -> off_heap -> swap to disk.

The issue is that to get the swap to disk, we have to set a maximum off
heap size for each individual cache. Since we have an API that allows you
to create caches "ad-hoc", we don't really know how much memory to allocate
to each individual cache. So:

   - Is there any way to globally configure an off heap "pool" that all
   caches will use, when the limit is reached, then swap to disk?
   - If not, are there any workarounds or suggestions?
   - If not, would the ignite team be interested in having our team work on
   this as a future advancement of ignite?

Thanks in advance.

Kevin

Re: Swap Space for Caches

Posted by Valentin Kulichenko <va...@gmail.com>.
Hi Kevin,

This is not a brand new discussion:
http://apache-ignite-developers.2346864.n4.nabble.com/Global-off-heap-memory-limit-td11267.html

Basically, global limit could be useful, but we decided not to do that
because 2.0 will completely change the configuration anyway.

-Val