Posted to dev@juneau.apache.org by James Bognar <ja...@salesforce.com> on 2016/09/24 15:59:55 UTC

Status update.

Here's a quick status update on the work for creating an initial release....

1) The core/server/client/microservice projects are now built as OSGi
bundles.

2) I've added a juneau-all project that combines all the bundles into a
single Java library.

3) The juneau-distrib project will now build two archives...

   - juneau-distrib-X-bin.zip
   - juneau-all-X.jar
      - juneau-samples-X.jar
      - samples.cfg
      - osgi-bundles/juneau-client-X.jar
      - osgi-bundles/juneau-core-X.jar
      - osgi-bundles/juneau-microservice-X.jar
      - osgi-bundles/juneau-server-X.jar
   - juneau-distrib-X-src.zip
   - juneau-samples-X-sources.jar
      - osgi-bundles/juneau-client-X-sources.jar
      - osgi-bundles/juneau-core-X-sources.jar
      - osgi-bundles/juneau-microservice-X-sources.jar
      - osgi-bundles/juneau-server-X-sources.jar

4) I've removed all manifest files from the projects.  They're now built by
Maven.

5) I've added a versioning guidelines document:
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/JUNEAU/Versioning+guidelines

6) I'm still creating a release guidelines document based on those of
Apache Commons as a starting point:
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/JUNEAU/New+release+guidelines

I have more questions for our mentors....

1) Do you have any thoughts/preferences on the initial version #?  6.0 or
1.0?

2) Where should release notes be kept?  Should we have a single
RELEASE-NOTES.txt file in the root, or separate ones in each bundle
project?

3) In the commons release notes, I see references to
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/release/commons
as the location for the KEYS file and downloads.  What exactly is this and
how is it populated?  How do we get an
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/release/juneau?

4) The commons project refers to a "mvn commons:download-page' command.
Any idea what that is and what it does?

--
James Bognar

Re: Status update.

Posted by James Bognar <ja...@salesforce.com>.
Thanks Jochen,

Juneau ships in two formats:
1) 4 separate OGSi bundles.
2) 1 uber jar containing everything.

The osgi bundles are separate because we don't want to force the
availability of the prerequisites (e.g. javax.servlet) if they're only
using, for example, the core APIs.  In a non-osgi environment, that's not
an issue and a single uber jar is simpler.

juneau-all.jar is the uber jar.
juneau-distrib-bin.zip contains the uber jar and osgi bundle jars (i.e. 5
separate jars).
juneau-distrib-sources.zip contains 4 separate source jars for the osgi
bundles (but not for the uber jar since it's an amalgam of the bundles).

I *hope* this is the correct approach.

I will use a single release notes in the root, and use 6.0 as the initial
version.  If anyone objects, I'll call for a vote.

--
James Bognar

Re: Status update.

Posted by Jochen Wiedmann <jo...@gmail.com>.
<ja...@salesforce.com> wrote:

>    - juneau-distrib-X-bin.zip
>    - juneau-all-X.jar

What is the difference between these? IMO, they are redundant, and
either should suffice.

>    - juneau-distrib-X-src.zip
>    - juneau-samples-X-sources.jar

I suggest to integrate the latter into the former (or into either of
the above binary dist files). At least, I don't see why I should be
interested in a separate samples jar.

> 4) I've removed all manifest files from the projects.  They're now built by
> Maven.

Well done.

Re: Status update.

Posted by Craig Russell <cr...@oracle.com>.
> On Sep 25, 2016, at 1:06 PM, James Bognar <ja...@salesforce.com> wrote:
>
> Thanks Craig.  I think I understand how dist.apache.org is laid out now.
>
> Further updates:
>
> 1) I created a ticket to enable Nexus Access for our project (
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/INFRA-12653) per instructions found
> here: http://www.apache.org/dev/publishing-maven-artifacts.html#signing-up
>
> 2) New release guidelines are now mostly done, although untested and in
> need of polishing:
> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/JUNEAU/New+release+guidelines
>

>> Can folks using the original project switch to this one by simply
> changing the maven coordinates?
> No.  There were no original Maven coordinates since we just started using
> Maven.  It was all ANT-based before.
>
> We still have release notes in the javadocs back to 2012:
> http://juneau.incubator.apache.org/site/apidocs/overview-summary.html#ReleaseNotes
> I think we should continue maintaining this section and simply start at v6.

In context, this makes perfect sense.

Craig

> On Sun, Sep 25, 2016 at 12:54 PM, Craig Russell <cr...@oracle.com>
> wrote:
>

>>> On Sep 24, 2016, at 8:59 AM, James Bognar <ja...@salesforce.com>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> I have more questions for our mentors....
>>>
>>> 1) Do you have any thoughts/preferences on the initial version #?  6.0 or
>>> 1.0?
>>
>> Can folks using the original project switch to this one by simply changing
>> the maven coordinates? I guess not since all the import statements need to
>> change.
>>
>> So I don’t think it much matters in terms of confusing the audience. If
>> you like to think of Juneau 6.0 as the next release of Juno 5.x, I don’t
>> see an issue. Many incubating projects leave the past in the past and start
>> with 0.1. And many keep the naming of the previous project.
>>>
>>> 2) Where should release notes be kept?  Should we have a single
>>> RELEASE-NOTES.txt file in the root, or separate ones in each bundle
>>> project?
>>
>> Three places: prominently on the web as a download, as a viewable web
>> page, and in the top level (root) of any distribution.
>>>
>>> 3) In the commons release notes, I see references to
>>> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/release/commons
>>> as the location for the KEYS file and downloads.  What exactly is this
>> and
>>> how is it populated?
>>
>> This is where Apache releases are put after being voted on and approved.
>> But it’s not https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/release/juneau but
>> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/release/incubator/juneau
>>
>>> How do we get an
>>> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/release/juneau?
>>

>> A few years ago you could scp to the host machine. I’m not sure what the
>> current protocol is. Can you try to create the directory using scp and see
>> what happens?
>>>
>>> 4) The commons project refers to a "mvn commons:download-page' command.
>>> Any idea what that is and what it does?
>>
>> Dunno.
>>
>> Craig
>>>

>> Craig L Russell
>> clr@apache.org
>>

> --
> James Bognar

Craig L Russell
clr@apache.org

Re: Status update.

Posted by James Bognar <ja...@salesforce.com>.

--
James Bognar

Re: Status update.

Posted by Stian Soiland-Reyes <st...@apache.org>.
Great - seems to import your key nicely with gpg!

You should add your @apache.org email address to your key - and
ideally make it the first UID in the key.  (To do this with gpg can be
a bit tricky if you are using an existing private key)

I see you included me as well, is it because you used
https://people.apache.org/keys/group/juneau.asc ?

I'm OK with that - it means that new committers must be added on
people.apache.org (good) - see
https://github.com/apache/infrastructure-puppet/pull/125 as example on
how to tell INFRA about that.

You can make your own practices for Juneau - for instance in Taverna
we needed to make provisions for multiple git repositories which you
don't need to worry about.

Here's a recent thread on general@incubator where it was discussed
different shell scripts to help the RC process:

https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/cf6a2ea3b969dc0e81ce49650f4418ab2480492c612bd2cacdf070dc@%3Cgeneral.incubator.apache.org%3E

Remember; within the Foundation projects can all borrow from
each-other freely (it's all Apache-licensed) - so I would encourage to
have a look around at similarly sized projects that have recently
graduated:
http://incubator.apache.org/projects/index.html#graduated

But also note that the capabilities of the infrastructure and general
practices change over time - so you should ignore outdated advice like
"use svn copy to make a tag" :)

Not sure what Juneau's feeling about the RC tags in git.apache.org or
not (as Incubator was discussing) - personally I don't see any harm in
-RCx tags in the repository - preparing for a release is just part of
development just like other commits.

Re: Status update.

Posted by James Bognar <ja...@salesforce.com>.
Thanks Stian!

Re: Status update.

Posted by Stian Soiland-Reyes <st...@apache.org>.

Re: Status update.

Posted by Craig Russell <cr...@oracle.com>.

Re: Status update.

Posted by Stian Soiland-Reyes <st...@apache.org>.
Hi!

Glad you are getting close to a release! And hurray for OSGi bundles.

Commenting as a Commons PM member - I think you should take our
instructions with a grain of salt as they can be a bit heavy and
probably outdated.  Some of the plugins (like download-plugin) only
exists to make the many Commons modules have a similar look&feel on
their releases - I would not recommend it unless you find it useful
(e.g. integrates well with website update).

In contrast - here's how we do it in Taverna:
https://taverna.incubator.apache.org/community/releasing

Feel free to clone/fork/steal! (It's Apache license after all..)

Personally I would not bother with also maintaining a
RELEASE-NOTES.txt and rather just refer to the Jira issue from a more
timeless README.

More stuff to update - less chance anyone will bother to do a release
(or will do something wrong :) -- we see this problem in Commons.

As Juneau is a library/framework I would prefer a pure Semantic
Versioning scheme http://semver.org/spec/v2.0.0.html (e.g. version
6.0.0) - of course OSGi likes 6.0.0.0 I think.

.. but still your schemewill probably need to be further qualified as
you have started. You should also decide what style you want on your
tags - you would want -RC1 style suffix for release candidate tags or
branches.

As for version 6.0 or 1.0... are the <6.0 versions publicly available
and somewhat compatible (except for change of package)? (I did not
find any reference to them from the Juneau homepage).

If not, I would say clean start and 1.0. But the Juneau community
should decide that - not mentors! :)

You should be able to get a source-release.tar.gz if you use
-Papache-release - and you can configure maven-release-plugin to
always apply apache-release profile.

Will the juneau-distrib-X-bin.zip contain just Juneau JARs or also
third-party JARs?

Perhaps it will be good if dev@juneau have a few dry runs with
creating the release candidates (I'm OK to pre-review them if you
want) - it can be a bit of a hazzle to get Maven to cooperate on a
release the first time..